Senior AI Research Scientist – 3D Vision for Mixed Reality & Autonomous Systems (Principal Level position also available)
- 384 Santa Trinita Ave, Sunnyvale, CA 94085, USA
- Legal Entity: Robert Bosch LLC
The Bosch Research and Technology Center North America with offices in Sunnyvale, California, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Cambridge, Massachusetts is part of the global Bosch Group (www.bosch.com), a company with over 70 billion euro revenue, 400,000 people worldwide, a very diverse product portfolio, and a history of over 125 years. The Research and Technology Center North America (RTC-NA) is committed to providing technologies and system solutions for various Bosch business fields primarily in the areas of Human-Machine Intelligence (HMI), Robotics, Energy Technologies, Internet Technologies, Circuit Design, Semiconductors and Wireless, and MEMS Advanced Design.
The focus of our global research on Human Machine Collaboration includes Big Data Visual Analytics, Explainable AI, Audio Analytics, NLP, Conversational AI, Mixed Reality and Smart Wearables, etc. We develop intuitive, interactive and intelligent solutions to enable inspiring UX for Bosch products and services in application areas such as autonomous driving, car infotainment and driver assistance systems (ADAS), Industry 4.0 and Internet of Things (IoT), security systems, smart home and building solutions, health care, and robotics.
As a part of our global research unit, our Mixed Reality and Autonomous System group is responsible for shaping the future user experience of Bosch products by developing cutting-edge technologies and prototype systems in the field of mixed reality and robotics, including object detection/segmentation/tracking/pose estimation, 3D reconstruction and understanding, visual localization, sensor fusion, reinforcement learning and adaptive robot control. We focus on developing innovative solutions to hard challenges in computer vision, mixed reality, and robotics, needed for human machine collaboration in intelligent and autonomous systems. We work with internal partners of different Bosch business units to transfer our solutions into future products. We also actively collaborate with leading groups in academia and industry to promote research ideas and publish research findings in internationally renowned conferences and journals, e.g. CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICRA, ISMAR, NeurIPS, ICLR, TVCG, SIGGRAPH etc.
The ideal candidate will passionately drive and further advance innovations in the field of computer vision but not limited to machine learning based approaches. The work includes conducting advanced research and development of novel algorithms and guiding business units to bring innovation ideas to products. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Conduct advanced research and engineering in computer vision and machine learning/deep learning to address challenges of mixed reality, visual sensing and robotics for different Bosch application areas.
- Work with an international team of experts to transfer the results of advanced research to Bosch business units. When necessary, build prototypes to verify research ideas.
- Actively scout for the emerging technologies and predict market trends by monitoring tech news, events and seminars.
- Provide expert opinions on relevant technology areas to facilitate strategic planning, R&D roadmap development, and business investment.
- Summarize research findings in high-quality paper and/or patent submissions.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or Engineering
- 2+ years of industry experience in R&D for real-time, high quality computer vision and deep learning algorithms & systems.
- Hands-on experiences in 3D computer vision including structure from motion, multi-view stereo, SLAM, object pose estimation, camera calibration, and 3D deep learning.
- Strong development skills using C/C++/Python and hands-on experience with libraries such as OpenCV, PCL, Tensorflow, and PyTorch.
- Publication record in venues including CVPR, ICCV, ICRA, ISMAR, ECCV, NeurIPS, ICLR, TVCG, SIGGRAPH.
- Experience in working with hardware systems including sensors such as RGBD cameras, depth sensors, 360 cameras, IMU, LIDAR, event cameras, etc.
- Experience in leading R&D project & team dealing with international customers.
- Experience in product development in the above mentioned areas for consumer/enterprise markets
- Strong leadership skills with excellent English communication & teamwork skills
BOSCH is a proud supporter of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) Initiatives
- FIRST Robotics (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology)
- AWIM (A World In Motion)
By choice, we are committed to a diverse workforce – EOE/Protected Veteran/Disabled.