PhD - Guarantees for Expressive Machine Learning Models
- Robert-Bosch-Campus 1, 71272 Renningen, Germany
- Legal Entity: Robert Bosch GmbH
Do you want beneficial technologies being shaped by your ideas? Whether in the areas of mobility solutions, consumer goods, industrial technology or energy and building technology – with us, you will have the chance to improve quality of life all across the globe. Welcome to Bosch.
The Robert Bosch GmbH is looking forward to your application!
Machine learning methods are becoming increasingly successful at solving complex problems, even in safety-critical applications such as autonomous driving. However, a theoretical understanding of why they often work so well has been achieved only for simple learning strategies and in idealized scenarios. It is the goal of this PhD project to develop rigorous performance guarantees for expressive models and under realistic conditions. Such generalization guarantees can then be used to devise new learning algorithms. During your PhD you will be part of the active research team at the Bosch Center for Artificial Intelligence (BCAI, www.bosch-ai.com).
Your tasks will include:
- Development of mathematically rigorous generalization performance guarantees for powerful machine learning methods, particularly for probabilistic models
- Prototypical algorithm implementations and application to industrial and real-world data sets
- Literature scouting and building close contact to the academic community including collaborations
- Technical discussions within the BCAI research team, supervision of Master students
- Publications in top-tier conferences and journals
- Master of Science in Machine Learning, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science or related fields, with excellent grades
- strong mathematical interest and skills necessary, prior knowledge of statistical learning theory or information theory is a plus
- general knowledge of machine learning
- programming skills, e.g. Python or Matlab
- strong intrinsic motivation and independence
- good English language skills
The final Phd topic is subject to your university.
Duration: 3 years.
Need support during your application?
Laila Rottmann (Human Resources)
+49 711 811 12148
Need further information about the job?
David Reeb (Functional Department)