Business Development Specialist
- 1230 Macklind Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Booksource, a family-owned, family-first company since 1974, partners with PreK-12 educators to bring a rich and diverse selection of books into today’s classrooms. As a leading distributor of classroom literature for the education market, we use our title insights and expertise to curate classroom libraries and book collections that enhance learning and inspire a lifelong love of reading. We envision a world where every child loves to read and are driven by our love of books, our passion for reading and our genuine desire to support the literacy goals of educators at every level in districts, schools and classrooms across the country.
Our company operates following our 47 year-old core values:
- Do the Right Thing
- Provide a Family First Culture
- Exceed Everyone’s Expectations
- Share Information in an Open Book Atmosphere
- Maintain Spirited and Diverse Workplaces
- Embrace and Drive Change to Shape the Future
- Encourage Personal and Professional Growth
- Support our Communities.
We have repeatedly been named as award-winning workplace by both the St. Louis Post Dispatch & Business Journal. This is due to our great company culture, our belief in the golden rule (treat others the way you want to be treated) and our core values.
The Business Development Specialist is responsible for supporting the Business Development Manager, researching and responding to all bid and proposal solicitations and all aspects of contract management. The Business Development Specialist will use Salesforce to identify and grow business opportunities, including proactively vetting and pursuing prospective new customers and partnering cross functionally to create and deploy initiatives for acquisition. This role will research and identify trends in the industry to help inform future marketing, sales, and product development plans.
Your Contribution to the Team Includes
- Respond to bid proposal requests from school districts
- Perform account maintenance to capture special contracts and reflect current bid status
- Oversee all aspects of bid and contract management, including renewals and follow up customer communication including responding to inbound customer requests
- Create and maintain customer accounts
- Manage incoming vendor registrations
- Proactively reach out to new districts to ensure we are registered to do business
- Build and maintain procurement relationships with a heavy focus on new business
- Track lead engagement through Salesforce, determine next steps, and communicate for converting leads to contacts
- Work with Sales Capability Trainer to educate internal departments and sales consultants on various opportunities, including product development, product placement and digital technology solutions
- Maintain awareness of educational policies and identify trends
- Support Business Development Manager in large projects and bid execution
- Act as backup to Literacy Accounts Managers with quote production when needed
What You’ll Need to be Successful
- Experience in compiling detailed administrative tasks in a fast paced work environment
- 2-3 years of experience in a business-related role with increasing responsibilities, experience with bids, grant writing or contract management is a plus
- Ability to handle several projects simultaneously with overlapping deadlines and unique project specifications
- An inquisitive mind that loves problem-solving
- Familiarity with Windows based software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Strong communication skills including both verbal and written
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. Booksource is an Equal Opportunity Employer.