- 1230 Macklind Ave, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Booksource is the premier trade book distributor to K-12 school classrooms across the country. We work with hundreds of publishers representing more than 30,000 book titles to sell and distribute authentic literature to educators who use real books, called trade books (versus textbooks), to teach reading, writing and other subjects. These are the books kids actually want to read! Our mission is to make it easy for educators to purchase, organize, and incorporate classroom libraries into their schools in the hopes that every school in America will have classroom libraries.
Booksource has built a reputation for quality service to our customers while supporting our employees. We believe strongly that the key to success is people, and every one of our employees is a valuable asset to our team. We consider our culture and values to be benefits. We also offer traditional benefits, but it's our "bonus" benefits that speak directly to our culture of being a family-friendly workplace.
As a member of the Information Technology team, the Software Engineer is an integral role with designing and delivering solutions in the company’s technology roadmap.
The Software Engineer is responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining and supporting software systems in Booksource’s application portfolio.
Objectives of this Role
- Through collaboration with stakeholders (user community, project managers, software engineers), gather requirements in order to ensure the customer’s business needs and expectations are met.
- Design and develop sustainable and scalable solutions.
- Create and implement timelines with attention to transparent communication at all levels.
- Thinks business process and functional requirements before technology.
- Interact directly with business stakeholders to gather and understand requirements and how they translate to application features.
- Author and update documentation; formally initiate and deliver requirements and design documentation.
- Adhere to the company's standards for development best practices and continuous improvement.
- Responsible for executing design and development tasks in a timely and high-quality manner with limited need for oversight and direction.
- Provide input on technical approaches to delivering solutions and refining requirements.
- Identify opportunities to develop new and better solutions.
- Anticipate and address technical obstacles. Perform, evaluate and communicate thorough quality assurance at every stage of systems development.
- Provide end-user training for new or modified functionality.
- Remediate product and configuration issues.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Associates degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two years of proven experience in software engineering.
- Experience with C#/ASP.NET, MVC, SQL and Web APIs.
- Experience with Services Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- Experience with SQL Server/SSMS/SSRS.
- Understanding the value of documented system architectural design and configuration.
- Efficient in troubleshooting and the ability to solve technical problems.
- Practical experience generating process documentation and reports.
- Proven analytical abilities.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Ability to translate data into actionable insights.
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, logic and persuasion skills.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Azure DevOps Services.
- Mobile First Design.
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Visio.
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint.
- Experience with Jira.
- Proven development of innovative and impactful systems solutions.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This role is NOT remote, it is located in St. Louis, MO.