Plant Shop Host
- Lake Wales, FL
Bok Tower Gardens has offered some of Florida’s most remarkable experiences to more than 23 million visitors since 1929. Through its lush historic landscape of the Olmsted gardens, the unique music of the Singing Tower carillon, magnificent 1930s Mediterranean-style mansion, and 3-acres of nature inspired play Children's Garden, the Gardens offer unparalleled opportunities for artistic, cultural, personal and spiritual enrichment. It is an experience that inspires all who visit and work here.
TITLE: Plant Shop Host
REPORTS TO: Retail Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time / Hourly / Non-exempt
SCHEDULE: Varied weekly schedule, up to 25 hours per week, to work into a full time position. This position includes weekends and holidays, including occasional evenings.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB: Manage and develop all areas of the Plant Shop operation, provide hands-on maintenance and customer service, providing a quality experience for the visitors. Develop and foster volunteers.
DUTIES: In addition to customer service, the Plant Shop Host has the opportunity to put his/her financial and creative talents to the test by selecting items, designing displays, or helping customers enhance their own gardens. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Plant Shop & Financial Development
- Meet with Retail Manager and Assistant Manager to discuss new and existing merchandise, update RM on existing merchandise.
- Place orders with outside wholesale nurseries for delivery
- Arrange and reserve advance orders with vendors
- Work with Bok Tower Gardens nursery to purchase specialty plants
- Attend local plant shows and assist with merchandise selection and vendor contacts
- Visit local wholesale nurseries to hand pick plants, and pick up orders when necessary
- Provide occasional in-house plant propagation in Plant Shop
- Communicate with vendors and reps about details of new and existing merchandise
- Assist in maintaining organized catalog and digital files for plant merchandise and supplies
- Monitor stock levels and process re-orders of approved merchandise and supplies
- Work toward meeting or exceeding budgeted revenues
- Work to maintain or increase dollars per visitor
- Control expenses to maximize profit
- Assist in preparation of Plant Shop budget
- Create and carry out special events to increase Plant Shop revenues
- Maintenance and Appearance
- Maintain plant displays and plant area to be attractive, clean and customer-friendly
- Maintain neat, attractive and up-to- date signage with photographs and educational information
- Create new displays in the Plant Shop
- Maintain work areas and plant storage areas in a neat, orderly and logical fashion
- Keep concrete floors and plant benches free of mildew and excess leaves and soil
- Keep top of shade cloth free of leaves and debris
- Maintain all irrigation systems to be orderly in appearance and operational
- Properly maintain all equipment
- Keep all areas free of safety hazards
- Sales and Customer Service
- Ensure that the Plant Shop is well attended
- Be knowledgeable about plant & other merchandise in order to answer customer questions
- Become knowledgeable about the Gardens, Bok Tower, Pinewood Estate, along with special events and the local area.
- Satisfy customers regarding their comments and complaints
- Participate in onsite and offsite sales or special events
- Maintain a neat & professional appearance, with a cheerful professional attitude
- Greet and interact with customers entering store
- Merchandise Receiving
- Check in plants and merchandise, and ensure quantity and quality
- Create and/or update vendor records and merchandise SKU’s as needed
- Establish and/or update pricing according to gross margin guidelines
- Perform computer receiving, print purchase orders and receiving reports
- Prepare all merchandise for POS
- Process invoices and handle invoicing problems and discrepancies
- Participate in inventory maintenance
- Communicate your suggestions, ideas, comments, problems and complaints, as well as those from the visitors to the Retail Manager or Assistant Manager.
- Be a team player and maintain open communication with staff and volunteers
- Immediately report any suspicious person/activities, or safety hazards to management staff
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Florida plant knowledge, including Bok Tower flora and fauna
- Ability to work outside in Florida weather all year round
- Creative abilities in aesthetics and promotions
- Good organizational skills for dealing with diverse duties
- Excellent time-management abilities
- Must be able to handle a variety of multiple duties
- Good interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Good computer skills
- Dependable and trustworthy
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Two years’ experience working with plants
- Two years’ experience in the retail industry
- Creative display abilities
Bok Tower Gardens is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for resume/application submission: Position is open until filled.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.