Maintenance Technician I
- Job Posting Date: 13-Nov-2023
- Department: Manufacturing
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
The Maintenance Technician I is responsible for safely performing emergency and preventative repairs to plant machinery and infrastructure. The Maintenance Technician - 1 responds to the needs of the production supervisor in the event of an unplanned production line breakdown. The Maintenance Technician I effectively utilize manpower and equipment to complete repairs in a timely manner, thereby contributing to the productivity and customer satisfaction.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for safely performing emergency and preventative repairs to plant machinery and infrastructure.
- Responsible for responding to work instructions from the Maintenance Group Leader, respond to emergency or breakdown calls. Diagnosing problems, dismantling and replacing defective or worn parts, testing of all repairs after replacement before turning over to the machine operator.
- Responsible for performing assigned preventive maintenance, cut weld and fabricate as needed on projects.
- Responsible for limited electrical work, no energized work may be performed by a Maintenance Technician I
- Responsible for responding to the needs of the production supervisor in the event of an emergency breakdown. Effectively utilizes manpower and equipment to complete repairs in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the cleanup of Maintenance and work areas where repairs are performed.
- Responsible for the safe and prudent use of company equipment and tools. Also, ensures a safe work environment by utilizing Lock-out/Tag-out procedures and reporting any unsafe condition.
- Responsible for the inventory of maintenance supplies. Informs the Maintenance Group Leader and or Maintenance Assistant when supplies have been removed from stock and require replenishment. Provides ordering information for replenishment of stock.
- Responsible for utilizing the Work Order system both in entering work orders and completing work orders, as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor or Maintenance Planner.
- Reports to the Maintenance Group Leader or Production Leader during off-shifts and weekends.
- Other duties include but are not limited to, plumbing concrete work, digging and climbing to elevated heights.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with the fundamental principles associated with the Quality and Environmental Management System in place at Metal Coaters of Georgia.
- Communicates daily with internal personnel from Production and Quality Control in order to assist in resolving problems and achieving company goals.
- If (in the event of an abnormal occurrence) an employee feels uncomfortable, unsure or unable to safely correct an issue, that employee must contact a member of plant leadership for assistance prior to attempting to correct the issue.
Environmental Impacts of this Position
The Maintenance department has a responsibility to avoid environmental impacts such as; the release of gas vapors into the atmosphere; oils, grease, solvents and various other chemicals into storm drains and/or soil, while performing your duties. Caution needs to be taken to avoid spills and good housekeeping practices must be assured as a preventative measure. If a spill occurs (Spill Response, Log and Report Procedure) must be followed. Maintenance also has a responsibility to recycle all of, but not limit to: non-contaminated paper, metals, oils, and cardboard.
To perform satisfactorily in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions. Maintenance Tech B’s must pass welding and cutting safety tests. Must pass arch flash test and able to startup line from cold start. Knowledge of all locations of E-Stops and crane disconnects. Have a basic knowledge of PC’s operating systems.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) and a minimum of one (1) years of experience as an Industrial Mechanic and/or Electrician.
The ability to read and comprehend documents including safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and simple correspondence. Also, the ability to communicate information in small group situations to other employees.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as fractions, percentages, area, circumference and volume.
Ability to apply common sense understanding, to perform work instruction’s that are furnished in written, oral and/or diagram form also, the ability to solve problems’ that involve multiple variables’ in a standard situation.
Other Skills & Abilities:
Incumbent should be capable of driving a forklift and using power tools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to work from heights; stand; sit; bend; stoop; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb and/or balance. The employee will be required to be capable of lifting a minimum weight of 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally performs near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate.
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.