Estimating Engineer - PE
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Job Posting Date: 28-Sep-2023
- Department: Estimating
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
The Estimating department implements strategies to achieve sustainable sales and financial results, maintain and grow customer accounts, and pursue profitable growth in pre-engineering buildings and services while evaluating potential projects for profitability and risk management.
The Estimating Engineer, PE provides support to the business, builders, architects, and end customers by providing up front product knowledge, pricing, details, and complete estimating and technical support. The Estimator provides regional builders with timely, accurate and optimal structural estimates and pre-order assistance. They also provide daily guidance to peer estimators with design recommendations and solutions. They may back up the Lead Estimator in their absence.
- Ensure builders are provided with timely, accurate and optimal quotations and pre-order assistance on quotes with a complexity level of low to very high (50 to 800 hrs +) with minimal oversight and checks.
- Provide design recommendations, loading assistance and value engineering ideas to peer estimators as required.
- Support the salesforce with any needed information regarding quotations to allow setting of final price to builders.
- Collaborate with builders and project teams to discuss problems and challenges and help create cost effective and efficient solutions.
- Assist builders with understanding of pricing software and its capabilities.
- Actively participate in work team and keep focus on regional objectives and profitability goals.
- Mentor entry level and peer estimators
- Increase or maintain department quote hit ratio.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Professional Engineer License
- 4 years of progressive experience in estimating design, project management or related field
- Solid knowledge of building codes and specifications
- 2+ years of pre-engineered building (PEB) experience
- Advanced certifications
- Leading company product knowledge and knowledge of key internal and external contacts
- Proficient in use of company engineering software, brand process and pricing systems with ability to train others.
- Experience in estimating pre-engineered building systems
- Leading knowledge of company's products, processes, and building software
Skills & Competencies
- Competence in Microsoft Office products, especially Excel
- Oral and written communication skills
- Customer focus
- Problem solving
- Effective communication
- Integrity and trust
- Drive team performance
- Peer and collaborative relationships
- Leadership skills
- Decision quality
- Organizational skills
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
Pay Range: $89,000-$134,000
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.