Paint Line Production Leader
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Job Posting Date: 06-Apr-2023
- Department: Manufacturing
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
The Paint Line Production Leader is responsible for all production personnel and activities that occur during an operating shift. The Production Leader exercises direct supervision over the plant hourly work force with respect to production, efficiency, volume and quality of production, schedules and delivery dates. The Production Leader is responsible for ensuring that all production personnel are operating the equipment in a safe manner. The Production Leader monitors the production floor to ensure that non-productive time is minimized, and the output of the production facilities meet or exceed the quality expectations of the customer(s).
- Responsible for the activities of all production personnel. Ensures that there are adequate personnel present to maintain production output when personnel are absent due to illness and/or vacation. Ensures timecard and payroll data is correct and submitted as scheduled.
- Responsible for ensuring that all production personnel perform their duties in a manner that is safe, consistent with company policies and is in accordance with documented work instructions.
- Responsible for verification of steel and paint prior to staging of raw materials at the paint line. Also, ensures that copies of each shop order are distributed in advance to the paint line production crew.
- Responsible for monitoring production rates to ensure that they comply with guidelines provided by Quality Control, or by MCGA-xxx (Paint Line Operating Speed Matrix).
- Responsible for generating production summary reports and detailed line time reports for each production line, on a shift basis.
- Responsible for ensuring that all paint usage has been properly recorded after each order has been completed.
- Responsible for ensuring that defective product (raw and/or finished) has been quarantined according to HFI procedures. Also ensures that representative samples of defective product have been obtained and Quality Control has been notified when non-conforming conditions exist.
- Responsible for ensuring that maintenance Work Orders for non-scheduled production interruptions to equipment and/or infrastructure are entered in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with the fundamental principles associated with the Quality and Environmental Management System in place at BlueScope Coated Products.
- Communicates daily with the Production Manager and internal personnel from Maintenance, Quality Control and Sales to help resolve any problems and help achieve company goals.
- If (in the event of an abnormal occurrence) an employee feels uncomfortable, unsure, or unable to safely correct an issue, that employee must contact a member of plant leadership for assistance prior to attempting to correct the issue.
To perform satisfactorily in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED), and a minimum of five (5) years of related experience.
Ability to read and comprehend documents including safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and simple correspondence. Also, the ability to communicate information (in small group situations) to other employees.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as fractions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to perform work instructions that are furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Also, the ability to solve problems which involve multiple variables in a standard situation.
Other Skills & Abilities:
Incumbent is required to drive a forklift, operate an overhead crane, and use power tools. The incumbent should also possess basic computer (data entry) skills and should be capable of recognizing metal defects.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; bend; stoop; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance. The employee will be required to be capable of lifting a minimum weight of 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate.
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.