- Job Posting Date: 08-Dec-2022
- Department: Engineering Services
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
Manufacturing is responsible for supporting safety, quality and production of all coated steel products processed in their assigned department(s) at the BlueScope Coated Products Facility. The incumbent ensures that production goals are met, customer demands are satisfied, and all manufacturing associates work safely within a self-directed team environment through their support.
The Process Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing technical and process specifications for the Production Line Processes. This includes tracking and reporting production key metrics on a daily and monthly basis, leading all the Quality and Yield improvement activities as a technical specialist and resource to the BCP team and pursuing continuous improvement activities which will enable BCP to achieve and/or exceed the goals of the Strategic Business Plan. The incumbent is also responsible for leading trials, quality investigations, and substituting for manager as needed.
- Investigate and resolve equipment issues. Performing system analysis and evaluation to determine root cause of failures using statistical methods Improve equipment performance. Manage capital projects, ROI cals and come up with statistically significant data for new project implementations.
- Act as project leader on new equipment procurement, installation, commissioning, and training.
- Investigate Quality Issues (Internal and External). Leading efforts to troubleshoot quality and productivity issues. Train, develop and partner with frontline leaders / employees to create a self-directed team on the floor. Lead or assist in feasibility studies for new robotic or automation equipment.
- Communicating with Area Manager, shift supervisors, and associates / provide as back up in Area Manager’s absence. Providing direction and leadership to the Technical Assistant in completing daily task and projects including monthly line yield reports and daily line run data.
- Coordinate production trials.
- Facilitating and supporting self-directed work teams in reaching consensus with respect to process improvements, material dispositions, production delays, etc. Help the maintenance, reliability, and performance activities to ensure equipment and system’s meet their required targets.
- Developing and reviewing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Developing and organizing training material to transfer appropriate process/production and safety knowledge to associates.
- Train operations and maintenance users in new systems operations and maintenance activities.
- Manage raw material inventory (chemicals, line supplies). Assisting in proper specification and choice of highest quality, lowest cost raw material commodities (i.e. Paint, & Chemicals) for utilization in BCP production processes. Research and investigate new technologies to decrease BCP’s costs, increase effectiveness, and maintain business viability.
- Resolve vendor supply issues. Assist other maintenance activities across BCP as required.
- Facilitating continuous improvement projects through team efforts. Write and champion capital projects.
- Month end reporting. Ensure all systems have secure protection protocols consistent with BlueScope standards.
- Assisting with all safety issues related to production and ensure that safety goals are achieved. Engaging associates in all aspects of safety, meetings, conversations, and incident reporting.
Education & Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or manufacturing related field or 10+ years of relevant experience in lieu of degree
- 5 years manufacturing experience
- 2 years in a supervisory or people management role
- 5 years of Steelscape product experience
Skills & Competencies
- Results oriented attitude with a proven track record of ensuring key deadlines are met
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of inventory systems used to track production, inventory and shipping required
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with team members to achieve planned results
- Interpersonal skills
- Presentation skills
- Accomplished safety leader
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams
- Good problem-solving skills
- High levels of integrity
- Self-drive and achievement oriented
- Understand complex equipment to resolve issues.
Pay Range: $69,000-103,500
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.