- Job Posting Date: 04-Apr-2023
- Department: Engineering Services
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
As a member of the BCP Maintenance and Engineering team, the Mechanical Engineer directs the design and installation of new or replacement electrical and automation equipment, develops standards for reliability and guidelines for engineering and maintenance activities on said equipment, ensures engineering drawings and technical information are kept up to date for equipment identified.
In addition, the Mechanical Engineer is also responsible for the daily maintenance activities on equipment and systems within the mechanical engineer’s responsibility. The Mechanical Engineer may also be tasked with supporting other maintenance activities during breakdowns, line shuts, annual shuts or when the need arises.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs the design and installation of new or replacement equipment.
- Identify and implement process equipment improvements utilizing reliability-based maintenance philosophy.
- Lead the design and development of mechanical projects and initiatives within the plant.
- Work with planners/scheduler to develop detailed shutdown work plans. Establishing repair priorities through communications with the operating departments, line maintenance associates and planners. Keeping Planners informed as to status of equipment repair. Documentation of activities and status in the work orders.
- Ensures engineering drawings, maintenance procedures and technical information are kept up to date.
- Provide direction to maintenance associates and contract labor.
- Optimize spares holding levels, develop efficient supply contracts and minimize stock holding costs.
- Develop & organize training programs for maintenance associates that apply to operations, maintenance and safety.
- Carries out root cause analysis on equipment failures and takes appropriate measures to prevent failures from reoccurring. Assist other maintenance activities across BCP as required.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or 15 years’ experience in a mechanical engineering role
- 5 years’ experience in Mechanical Engineering role
- Professional Engineer License/ Registration
- 2 years industrial maintenance engineer experience
- 5 years industrial maintenance engineer experience
- Heavy Manufacturing experience in the implementation of automation projects with successful cost and performance outcomes
- Project management experience
- Ability to effectively manage projects from conception to completion. Include budgeting, design, manpower allocation, timeline development, documentation and technical instruction.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems through application of principals of mechanics, electricity, and fluid dynamics to machines and equipment.
- Ability to understand the operation of moderately complex tools, machines and systems
- Ability to operate and understand a variety of computer applications and systems such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and SAP.
- Drive for Results
- Drive to develop effective teams/projects
- Process Management
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Written Communications
- Functional/Technical skills
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.