Shipping & Receiving Clerk
- Job Posting Date: 04-Apr-2023
- Department: Manufacturing
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
The Shipping & Receiving Material Handler assists with the tasks involved in shipping and/or receiving of raw and/or finished materials. The position is responsible for loading, unloading of material and stacking of material in designated location(s).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for Loading and Un-loading raw material and/or finished goods from trucks and/or other freight hauling vehicles.
- Responsible for safely moving and stacking materials between designated locations within the facility.
- Responsible for operating forklift(s), crane(s), and various other tools and equipment.
- Responsible for collecting and acting upon shipping releases, as directed by the shipping Leadman or Supervisor.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with the fundamental principles associated with the Quality and Environmental Management System in place at BlueScope-Houston, Texas.
- Communicates daily with internal personnel from Sales, Maintenance, Operations and Quality Control in order to help resolve any problems and help achieve company goals.
- Responsible for verifying that finished goods (coils) are properly identified with an identification ticket prior to moving them to a storage area.
- Responsible for verifying that finished goods (coils) are not damaged or visibly non-conforming prior to moving them to a designated storage area.
- Responsible for quarantining non-conforming material (using the HFI process) and notifying Quality Control when non-conforming conditions exist.
Environmental Impacts of this Position
The Shipping / Receiving department has a responsibility of avoiding environmental impacts such as; the release of: oils, grease from forklifts and cranes, solvents, paints and various other chemicals by accidental puncture, while performing your daily duties. You also have the responsibility to recycle all recyclable materials such as: paper, cardboard, ink cartridges etc. Caution must to be taken to avoid spills and good housekeeping practices are essential as a preventative measure.
To perform satisfactorily in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
Ability to read and comprehend documents including safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and simple correspondence. Also, the ability to communicate information (in small group situations) to other employees.
Ability to perform general mathematic calculations including but not limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions and percentages.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to perform work instructions that are furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Other Skills & Abilities:
Incumbent is required to drive a forklift and operate an overhead crane. Proficiency in Microsoft office applications and general PC skills are a must. Must be able to communicate effectively with others.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; bend; stoop; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb and/or balance. Specific visional requirements include; close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this job the employee occasionally performs near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate.
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.