Shipping and Receiving Attendant
- Job Posting Date: 10-Mar-2023
- Department: Logistics
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
Verify and maintain records on incoming and outgoing shipments. Prepare items for shipment. Duties include assembling, addressing, stamping, and shipping merchandise or material; receiving, unpacking, verifying and recording incoming merchandise or material; and arranging for the transportation of products.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Compute amounts, such as space available, shipping, storage, or demurrage charges, using computer or price list.
- Responsible for scanning BCP FNG coils to ensure they are on location and import MTRs to Document wave.
- Loads and un-loads raw material and/or finished goods from trucks and/or other freight hauling vehicles.
- Safely moves and stacks materials between designated locations within the facility.
- Confer or correspond with establishment representatives to rectify problems, such as damages, shortages, or nonconformance to specifications.
- Contact carrier representatives to make arrangements or to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials.
- Deliver or route materials to departments, using work devices, such as hand truck, conveyor, or sorting bins.
- Determine shipping method for materials, using knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates.
- Examine contents and compare with records, such as manifests, invoices, or orders, to verify accuracy of incoming or outgoing shipment.
- Pack, seal, label, and affix postage to prepare materials for shipping, using work devices such as hand tools, power tools, and postage meter.
- Prepare documents, such as work orders, bills of lading, or shipping orders, to route materials.
- Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, damages, or discrepancies for reporting, accounting, or recordkeeping purposes.
- Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock.
- Responsible for collecting and acting upon shipping releases, as directed by the Team Leader or Warehouse Planner
- Responsible for understanding and complying with the fundamental principles associated with the Quality and Environmental Managements systems in place at BlueScope Coated Products.
- Responsible for communicating daily with all levels of employees in order to assist in resolving problems and achieving company goals.
- Keeps equipment and work area clean and orderly.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned
It is the responsibility of all employees to avoid environmental impacts including but not limited to the release of gas or toxic vapors, solvents, paints, grease, oils and various other chemicals into the environment. Caution needs to be taken to avoid spills. If a spill occurs BlueScope Coated Products, (Spill Response, Log and Report procedures) must be followed. In addition, all employees are responsible to recycle all recyclable materials including but not limited to paper, plastics, cardboard, ink cartridges, etc. Good housekeeping practices are essential as a preventative measure.
To perform satisfactorily in this position, the employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made for employees with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) with a minimum of 1 year of experience within this type of role
Ability to read and comprehend documents including but not limited to policy manuals, safety rules/programs, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and simple correspondence. In addition, the ability to communicate information effectively one-on-one, in small group situations and settings is required.
Ability to perform general mathematic calculations including but not limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, percentages, and statistics. Some positions may require advance mathematics.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to perform work instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form a must. In addition, the ability to solve problems, which involve multiple variables in a standard situation, is required.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Oracle applications
- Required to use power hand tools.
- Required to drive a forklift.
- Must be able to operate overhead cranes.
- Ability to work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with a diversified work force.
- Offers of employment may be contingent upon passing a substance abuse screening test and/ or criminal background check.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit; bend; stoop; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; lift; climb and/or balance for essential tasks. Specific vision abilities include close-up and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The employee may be required to enter areas that are near moving mechanical parts, with occasional exposure to hazardous chemicals, and extreme cold or heat. The noise level in the work environment is considered moderate and may require the use of hearing protection. The employee will be required to utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when accessing certain manufacturing areas.
Before initiating work at BlueScope, the employee is required to read and understand the position’s Job Safety Analysis. The employee must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and perform tasks in a manner consistent with BCP safety training, Employee Manual, and OSHA regulations.
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.