- Kansas City, MO, USA
- Job Posting Date: 27-Aug-2021
- Department: Innovation
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
Together the R&D Product Research and Product Excellence departments develop product innovations for market by the BBNA building brands through research in the construction market place, consultation with customers (Builders), and experimentation, creation and testing of potential solutions, providing BBNA with product definition and support by providing technical services including defining the product into the nVision engineering system, technical documentation, interpretation of specifications, building codes, and company policy, and technical support services and product application criteria for internal and external customers.
The Research Engineer plays a critical role within both departments. Collectively those in the Research Engineer role in both departments oversee performance testing operations for product development and enhancement efforts for BBNA, collaborate with others in the departments to generate documentation and support information (test reports, energy analysis tools, etc.) required, remain current and function as one of the top internal resources for energy code, building code and standard requirements for BBNA, work with customers, management, suppliers, testing agencies and other employees to identify superior products and define them for correct structural design, with proper form, fit, function in compliance with all applicable current codes, specifications, and industry practices, and is responsible for product design and procedure documentation as well as clear communications of product introduction and changes to all applicable departments while obtaining acceptance of those products that require outside testing and code agency approvals. This role is located in our Grandview, MO office.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in ideation, development and trial and new product concepts, including design and construction of test mock-ups and full-scale product demonstration models
- Design, test, develop, and modify products to meet economic and quality requirements
- Oversee in-house testing (thermal performance, uplift, drop-testing, etc.) and provide analysis and documentation of results for current and developmental product offerings
- Plan, contract and oversee third-party product testing operations, including off-site visits to testing labs to approve test builds and witness testing
- Develop appropriate design procedures and tools to define product into the engineering system and for engineering support and efficiency
- Maintain company product ratings & approvals through consultation with third-party consultants, management of drawing revisions, validation of product properties, and retesting for system approvals when necessary
- Maintain technical data for company web-based energy analysis tools
- Represent the company’s interests with technical organizations including MBMA, AISC, AISI, AWS, CWB, ASHRAE and others
- Provide technical expertise/consultation on building code and energy code requirements, product approvals/ performance, etc. to Brand management and associates
- Provide timely, accurate response to product or procedural inquiries from customers
Minimum Education & Experience Qualifications
- 4-year college degree in Civil Engineering with structural emphasis
- 5 years of industry experience
- Professional Engineering registration
- BBNA brand product knowledge
- Working knowledge of BBNA engineering software (Primarily Product Excellence)
- Working knowledge of how steel structures are fabricated and erected
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Good understanding of construction practices and methods
Preferred Education & Experience Qualifications
- Specialized training and/or certification(s) in building envelope technology (primarily R&D PR)
- Participation with industry organizations such as AISC, MBMA, AISI, AWS, CWB
- 10+ years BBNA brand experience
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; capability to make formal presentations
- Experience with gathering and analysis of test data
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD. Publishing software a plus.
- Working knowledge of electronics and hydraulic, electrical & mechanical machinery/apparatus
- Basic understanding of properties of materials such as metals, thermoplastics, composites
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.