Quality Inspector (Weld Inspector) - 3rd Shift
- Visalia, CA, USA
- Job Posting Date: 21-July-2021
- Department: Manufacturing
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
Under limited supervision, the Weld Inspector works independently to perform visual quality inspections and tests on welded steel components. Weld Inspectors use a variety of tools for testing and monitor repairs as needed for welding issues that arise during the manufacturing process. The Weld Inspector also assists with maintaining Welders’ qualifications with regards to job specifications and process improvements, and American Welding Society (AWS) and Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) requirements.
I. Primary Duties & Responsibilities *
In addition to complying with all safety, environmental, quality, and core policies, and contributing to the company’s Zero Harm and Zero Defects commitment, the following briefly describes the 3 to 6 primary activities (not all activities) that are regularly performed, and the approximate percentage of time annually devoted to each.
Perform and coordinate weld inspections 65%
Troubleshoot daily issues which impact part quality (i.e. issues created by prior operations, print issues, fit-up issues, communication of specifications, etc.) 10%
Assist in maintaining quality through training new and existing Welders, certify and requalify Welders, and communicating improved procedures and requirement to shop personnel 10%
Actively participates in continuous improvement and corrective action activities 10%
Perform housekeeping, 5-S, and other duties as assigned 5%
I. Key Measures
Briefly list the areas in which this job is accountable for results.
- Safety/Hazard Reporting and Safety Observations
- Productivity - Management of shop calls and quality issues that impact overall plant productivity
- Quality/Claims - Low claims cost reflect quality of inspection process
- Stop Tag Log - Record of weld issues that were stopped from reaching job site and repaired prior to shipment.
I. Education & Experience Qualifications
· High school diploma or equivalent, or attain ACT WorkKeys Assessment at certified job profile skill level
· 3 years of relevant experience and/or training
· Working Towards and/or willingness to obtain one or more of the following within two-years of assignment to role:
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
CSA Welding Inspector Level I
ICC Structural Welding Inspector (S2)
ANST VTI and VTII Certification
ANST NDT Level I and Level II Certification
· Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) in accordance with the provisions of AWS QC1
· Level II or II CSA Welding Inspector
· ICC Structural Welding Special Inspector (S2)
· AWS D1.1 Welding Certification
· CWB W47.1 Welding Certification
· ANST NDT Level I, Level II, or Level II Certification
· 5+ years of relevant experience
I. Skills & Competencies
List additional attributes, including WITTS capabilities appropriate to role level, necessary to perform duties and responsibilities listed above.
· Strong computer skills
· Research and problem-solving skills
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team
· Ability to work and learn independently
· Ability to read and understand blueprints
· Understanding of all weld defects and flaws common to gas metal arc welding (GMAW) and submerged arc welding (SAW) as outlined in ASW D1.1
· Capable of conducting in-process welding inspections for fit-up, pre-qualified joint geometry, preheat, arc gouging, position of welding and follow up for cleaning weld repairs and final weld inspection
· Working knowledge of the techniques and proper use of all types of weld measuring gages and meters commonly used in welding operations and quality checks
· Familiarity with outside agency codes, standards, testing procedures, processes and shop practices.
· Awareness of welding symbols and terms commonly used
· Well versed on all aspects of AWS D1.1 and AWS D1.3 Structural Welding Codes and applications
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.