Manager, Design Services - BCSS
- Kansas City, MO, USA
- Job Posting Date: 14-July-2021
- Department: Production Engineering
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
The Engineering teams use internal and external resources to provide safe, creative, quality engineering solutions for internal and external customers with superior customer service. They ensure projects are executed on time and under budget.
The Manager, Design Services leads and develops multiple engineering team members to manage structural design services, project budgets and program support. They evaluate external material cost data to generate standard costs and company product pricing. The Manager also demonstrates leadership qualities to promote a culture of safety, diversity, and inclusion in the organization.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages daily activity of a staff of Lead Engineers, Engineers, and Technicians. Develops multiple teams who make decisions needed to provide design and detailing services for proposals and projects. Schedules and maintains both internal and external resources.
- Trains engineers on building layout, structural design and quoting of major projects. Provides regular feedback and reviews to ensure quality and performance standards are met.
- Identifies, qualifies, and develops external resources to design and detail projects as needed.
- Evaluates staffing needs, predicts workload demand, and recruits, interviews and hires staff.
- Tracks project costs in comparison to project budgets. Produces and monitors department budget and processes and approves engineering related invoices and claims.
- Communicates value proposition and evaluates and maintains material standard pricing to be used for project budgets.
- Maintains and develops strong relationships for accounts by delivering customer satisfaction that exceeds expectations. Establishes design and detailing standards and monitors and reports key program metrics. Work closely with other internal engineering groups to provide seamless integrated hybrid solutions to Builders.
- Ensures department has personal (PE) and corporate (COA) professional licensure coverage for states where we work.
- Participates as an active member of Safety Committees and leads and promotes “Design For Safety” task force as a differentiator in the market.
Minimum Education & Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering or related discipline
- In-depth knowledge of the construction and building industries
- 5 years of experience managing a group, team or department
- 5 years of professional engineering or structural design experience on major projects
- 3 years of experience in project estimating of major projects
- Knowledge of the company’s pricing structure
- Knowledge of project management and project financial tracking
Preferred Education & Experience Qualifications
- Professional Engineering license
- 10 years of experience managing a group, team or department
- 10 years of professional engineer or structural design experience on major projects
- 5 years of experience in project estimating of major projects
- A proven track record of leading high performance teams
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business acumen
- Strong skills to set direction
- Promotes innovation
- Drives for customer focus
- Manages change
- Safety minded
- Drives functional performance
- Makes decisions with a view of long term impacts
- Develops team capability
- Leads ethics and values
- Ensures others innovate
- Leads change
- Generates valuable solutions for the customer and the company
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.