Production Lead, Swing Shift
- West Sacramento, CA, USA
- Job Posting Date: 15-Feb-2021
- Department: Manufacturing
NS BlueScope - Coated Products North America (Coated Products) is a joint venture between Nippon Steel and BlueScope Steel. The Coated Product business operates in the United States, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Indonesia, with its headquarters based in Singapore. This joint venture provides a strong platform to capture growth in new market segments. ASC Profiles LLC and Steelscape LLC are part of the NS BlueScope Coated Products business in the United States and is an industry leader on the forefront of offering innovative steel product solutions. With over 600 employees and eight manufacturing plants across the Western United States, we have built trusted brands which have served the construction industry for almost 50 years.
ASC Profiles LLC is the leading manufacturer of steel roof and wall products and structural roof and floor deck in the Western U.S., servicing customers from eight locations. ASC Profiles services various segments of the steel construction industry through its three divisions, AEP Span, ASC Steel Deck and ASC Building Products.
Who are we looking for?
If you enjoy working with people who are practical, put your safety first, and care about the communities in which they work, then ASC Building Products is the place for you. In this position, you will work with a dynamic and supportive team and contribute to the success of our business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND REPONSIBILIIES
Our West Sacramento location will Production Lead, Swing Shift, AEP Span with Swing Lead support for ASC Building Production.
The Production Lead while under general direction, monitors and leads the production employees ensuring employees are operating safely and product is manufactured efficiently and accurately within the desired specifications and lead times. The Production Lead will act as a leader and as such emulates BlueScope’s Guide to Business Conduct and models Our Bond and Safety culture.
- Carry out BSL Codes of practice and Safety and environmental standards and assists work site management to ensure that safety, training, and productivity goals are met.
- Supports daily floor activities of production employees, including prioritizing and assigning work and monitoring work outputs. Ensures products are produced to all quality requirements. Be visible on the floor and carry out walk the floor standards.
- Maintains work procedures and standard practices in production area. Observe, maintain, coordinate and complete standard work.
- Assists operators with machine set-ups, programming and adjustments to equipment and tooling when necessary to resolve quality, functioning or safety issues. This includes the ability to provide shift hand-off.
- Works closely with support staff and support departments Production, Customer Service Departments, Purchasing and pertinent departments to resolve issues.
- Provides feedback, direction, and coaching, resolve basic interpersonal individual and team queries, keeps manager informed and can assess when to escalate.
- Conducts daily communication meetings “toolbox” utilizing effective communication techniques; at times will conduct meetings in small groups.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area to facilitate manufacturing functions. Assign and maintain housekeeping to established visual standards where available or establish visual standards as needed to meet 5’s standards.
- Assists Manufacturing Manager with training all employees in manufacturing processes, and forklift, overhead crane operation.
- Provides cross training information to employees and review progress/results with operators and trainees.
- Immediately reports to Manufacturing Manager any problems or concerns with quality, processes, equipment, materials, and labor.
- Queries inventory system for appropriated information of stock material or products.
- Identify and support continuous improvement efforts with Manufacturing Manager.
Experience and Qualifications
- High school diploma/GED required.
- 3 years of experience in experience in manufacturing/production environment is required.
- Ability to operate a forklift in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to operate an overhead crane in a manufacturing environment.
- 2+ years previous experience leading teams or projects
- Technical knowledge of operating Roll forming machines and equipment.
- Experience with an ERP system is preferred; SAP experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with off-loading production material, particularly long length material
- Knowledge of ASC Profiles products
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to analyze and solve problems effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with others
- Ability to effectively manage priorities and workflows
- Ability to read measurements from tape measures, micrometers and protractors.
- Ability to use pneumatic nails and staple guns in pneumatic and manual banding equipment in a safe manner (crating)
- Ability to use saws, (table, hand, miter, radial arm, circular and all related power saws)
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Excellent organization skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Leadership skills to guide a group or individual toward task accomplishment
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, including staging loads in the yard, to maintain efficient work flow
- Possesses strong customer service orientation
- Proficiency in the English language, with effective oral and written communication skills
- Safety and environmental focus
- The physical demands of this position are limited to those found in a normal. office/warehouse/production environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to stand, walk, lift, carry, use the hands to manipulate objects, bend, look and see.
- The employee is frequently required to push, pull, twist, turn, talk, hear, reach above the shoulder and/or outward, and drive power equipment.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, squat, type, kneel, and crouch.
- The employee must at times lift-up to 50 pounds.
- Computer usage may be required up to 90 percent of the time and include heavy periods of keyboarding, repetitive motion, and/or eye strain.
- May work with industrial products and chemicals and be exposed to hazardous chemicals, fumes, and/or airborne particles.
- May be exposed to lethal stored energy sources including mechanical and up to 100 volts of electrical current.
- The work environment is constrained to a standard office environment, with occasional functions in an unconditioned warehouse space.
- While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent will be daily exposure to manufacturing floor and exposed to falling objects, floor hazards, machine hazards, and hazards associated with driving a forklift.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
- Occasional exposure to wet/humid conditions, heat, and outside weather conditions.
- Wear required personal protective equipment including hard hats, metatarsal boots, and eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, long sleeves and long pants.
- Travel to other local business locations may be required and include driving a personal or company vehicle as necessary.
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.