Civil Structural Engineer
- West Sacramento, CA, USA
- Job Posting Date: 18-Oct-2020
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Department: Marketing
ASC Profiles LLC is the leading manufacturer of steel roof and wall products and structural roof and floor deck in the Western U.S., servicing customers from six locations. ASC Profiles services various segments of the steel construction industry through its three divisions, AEP Span, ASC Steel Deck and ASC Building Products.
The Civil Structural Engineer performs duties requiring the application of professional engineering knowledge, specifically relating to ASC products and their application in buildings. To develop new and enhance existing products to meet ASC Profiles strategic and business plans. This position also develops and updates various documents (specification sheets, accessory drawings, literature). This is a collaborative role and provides technical support to Sales and Marketing, Engineering teams as well as external businesses by responding to requests for information. Conducts project research of market conditions, project management, engineering analysis and creation of technical documents to stay relevant. Represents the company and industry standards in all dealings with engineers, architects, owners, and customers.
- Designs and develops new products in alignment with business strategies and building standards.
- Performs engineering design and analysis of cold-formed steel building products, including developing product performance specifications, creating and updating application data sheets, and maintaining other relevant documentation.
- Monitors product development for compliance with current building standards (IBC, SDI, FM, UL, IAPMO, ICC-ES, Uniform-ES, IBC, etc.).
- Configures products, including creating and/or modifying existing designs, utilizing solid and 2D CAD models; prepares drawings and designs system specifications.
- Performs product testing and analysis, including diaphragm sheer, wind uplift, web-crippling, air and water infiltration, and fire-rated assemblies.
- Prepares proper documentation of the experiments and analysis and prepared reports and correspondence.
- Collaborates with cross functional product innovation team to meet the functional and performance requirements; works closely with engineering team, marketing, manufacturing and sales departments on the research, design and implementation of products.
- Provides support to company’s technical literature.
- Reviews and updates all the published literature associated with the products for consistency.
- Supports Sales by providing technical guidance and support to external engineers, specification writers, large building owners/developers and national design build-companies on the capabilities of ASC Steel Deck products as needed.
- Responds to RFI’s from ongoing field projects.
- Researches inquiries and provides guidance in accordance with Company standards, capabilities, liability exposure, and Industry standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Architectural, or Structural Engineering.
- 3+ years of experience in Civil Engineering, building construction and/or building products industry.
- Good understanding of engineering concepts, especially Seismic Analysis, Structural Analysis, Engineering Statics, Structural Dynamic analysis, Basics of Cold-Form Steel Engineering Design, and how they relate to light gauge steel products.
- (CA) P.E. License.
- Knowledge in cold-form steel design and standards (AISI Cold Form Steel design manual or Steel Deck Institute Manual).
- 3 years in design of cold-formed steel building components for commercial, institutional, educational, hospital, residential, agricultural or similar applications.
Key Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, submittals, technical and contract documents.
- CAD Software (Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD) and PC skills. Ability to learn and use Cold-Form Steel related engineering software.
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft applications, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to plan, organize and multi-task in order to meet deadlines.
- Effective written communication, and report writing skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills, including presentations, and the ability to communicate technical information, design examples, and applications in an effective manner.
- Hands-on, technical and analytical competence.
- Project management from conceptualization to completion and implementation, including all the required interdepartmental collaboration.
- Works safe daily and supports CPNA safety culture.
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
ASC Profiles LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.