Customer Service Representative
- Tacoma, WA, USA
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Department: Customer Service
AEP Span, a Division of ASC Profiles LLC is a leading manufacturer of architectural metal products, offering performance rated structural roof and siding. AEP Span affords the architectural community design flexibility and freedom of expression by allowing architects to design and specify roofing and framing systems for new construction and re-roofing applications. AEP Span blends traditional design with contemporary technology and tested values. The innovative thought that goes into the product design, customer service and consideration for the installer is what makes AEP Span's roofs and walls protect not only buildings, but reputations.
AEP Span is part of the BlueScope group of companies located in 12 countries and employs over 14,000 employees. As a leading international supplier of steel products and solutions, principally focused on the global building and construction industry, we believe that our people are our strength. Having a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to improve our capability and ensure continued, sustainable success.
The purpose of this position is to manage the order fulfilment process including claims resolution. This position exists to coordinate customer orders and build customer relationships to generate business for ASC Profiles. Developing strong relationships within our customer base is critical as this position is the primary customer contact for coordinating phased, and single order processing, and is the internal pivot point for the customer to support departments: Sales, Operations, Purchasing, Credit, and Logistics. This position also functions to provide advice on order status, and offer technical support on product features, and installation guidelines. This position partners closely with an Outside Sales Representatives for a team approach to manage the territory and/or customer assigned. Often the primary contact with customer is ensuring proactive communication on all phases of the orders entered. It is important that this position has a strong understand of the product offer manual in order to provide accurate information and details to customers.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Receives purchase orders from customers and ensures all information is correct and matches quote provided by Outside Sales Representative; evaluate if order is backlogged or for cutlist. Ensures all pertinent credit information is collected prior to order entry.
- Enter future orders are backlogged into SAP system to secure steel for standard and non-standard products following backlog guidelines. Enter purchase orders that include cut-lists into SAP in the appropriate production roll. Responsible for entering orders in truck load quantities, following customer sequence and bundling guidelines.
- Understands production schedule to assign correct ship dates for orders based on shipping distance, mode of transportation or will call.
- Issue order amendments to reflect changes made by customer or other departments; SPOC in managing the Order Amendment process to reflect changes made to customer orders by the customer, production, transportation or purchasing.
- Maintains project files for active orders and ensures all changes are documented and included in the file.
- Performs follow-up activities on will calls, order clarification, and other tasks as assigned, timely and consistently; documenting results, and follow-up actions; effectively coordinate/communicate with various internal departments to answer questions, provide clarification or make changes to orders. Facilitate claim resolution and recovery orders. Document complaint, enter complaint into the tracking system, investigate or take appropriate action to notify sales and management.
- Performs bi-weekly updates for backlogs; weekly updates for aged inventory reports.
- Has all order entry double checked by a peer and in turn helps double check peer’s order entry.
- Locates coil batches used on orders and provides Mill Test Reports to customers.
- Answers incoming calls and direct to others as necessary.
Minimum Required Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree; or at least 3 years additional experience in lieu of degree
- 2 year’s customer service experience or equivalent industry experience
- ERP experience
Preferred Experience & Qualifications
- 2-5 years building products experience - either commercial or residential
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of SAP Software
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and procedures
- Knowledge of ASC Profiles Products, division specific preferred
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively
- Ability to work positively with cross-functional employees.
- Analytic Skills
- Dispute resolution / negotiation skills; ability to read specifications and drawings;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent customer service skills
- Follow BSL safety framework
- Highly motivated with a desire to be successful
- In-depth understanding of phased projects, scope and particulars i.e. timeframes
- Must be experienced in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Outlook.
- Proficient math skills, including the ability to work with fractions and decimals
- Project management skills
- Safety Orientation
- Self-starter; high achievement orientation
- Solid command of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong Data Entry
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong passion for providing excellent customer service
- Team player
Working Conditions/Special Notes
- Extensive client contact, visibility, interaction, and exposure.
- Work assignments are typically deadline driven
- Computer usage may be required up to 90 percent of the time and include heavy periods of keyboarding, repetitive motion, and/or eye strain
- Use of hands and fingers required to pinch, pick, and feel objects, tools and/or controls
- Work requires continuous mental attention and high alertness.
- Significant reading in English required via Internet and/or bound volumes
- Work may be sedentary or desk bound
- Required by telephone and/or in person
- Good close vision required for viewing paper copies and/or computer screens.
- Required to distinguish colors on monitoring equipment, paper copy, computer screen, or for safety purposes where vision impairment may be life threatening
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.