- Kansas City, MO, USA
- Job Posting Date: 11-Mar-2020
- Department: Engineering Services
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
BlueScope Conventional Steel Services (BCSS) supports Butler Manufacturing and Varco Pruden Buildings as divisions of BlueScope Buildings North America (BBNA) by:
- Providing conventionally framed building solutions, products, and services;
- Pursuing incremental, profitable growth into new markets;
- Enhancing the value of the brands and their builder networks; and
- Relentless commitment to continuous improvement as a high-performance, world-class organization.
The Sales Engineer provides the design and sales communication link between BCSS and the builders, and between BCSS and the brands. They develop preliminary structural designs, coordinate with internal and external suppliers, and manage complete professional proposals for both conventional and hybrid buildings.
- Review building drawings and specifications to identify scope of work required for proposal.
- Develop plan for obtaining outside engineering resources if required, requesting/receiving outside supplier quotes, developing estimate and delivering proposal.
- Communicate with BCSS management and brand sales organization to develop sales strategy, define margin levels, etc.-includes travel as required
- Communicate with customer to clarify their building requirements, confirm proposal delivery schedule, etc. .-includes travel as required
- Develop or manage preliminary structural design using both conventional steel and PEMB design tools. .-include proposal drawings and reactions as needed.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering (or related)
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- 5 years of experience in the construction industry with the following:
- 3 years of structural design of steel buildings
- 2 years of proposal, estimating or sales experience
- Ability to implement all building codes and steel product codes into design and proposal. This includes but is not limited to IBC, ASCE, AISC CFE2008, SJI, SDI, REP2014, NSR-10.
- Competent with structural design software (RISA, RAM, or STAAD)
- Experience with metal building design
- Strong sales acumen and presentation skills
- Demonstrated business acumen
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to set and achieve goals and deadlines
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication, consulting, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and quickly adapt to a changing landscape
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.