Project Engineering Manager
- Kansas City, MO, USA
- Job Posting Date: 8-Jan-2020
- Department: Engineering Services
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
BlueScope Conventional Steel Services (BCSS) supports Builders by offering solutions to pre-engineered building systems. Projects range from low rise commercial structures to some of the highest profile buildings in the country. The Heavy Structures group focuses on projects in which the structural system is fabricated outside of the company’s normal fabrication process. These structural systems are generally composed of trusses, heavy plate or mill sections, and hollow structural section (HSS) bracing systems. The buildings typically meet one or more of the following criteria: large clear spans, heavily loaded, high seismic, large cranes, or highly architectural.
The Project Engineering Manager (PEM) provides project management services that meet or exceed customer expectations throughout the life of the project and serves as the single point of contact for the project. The PEM provides timely and concise verbal and written communications and promptly responds to customer requests. They employ sound risk management principles that meet or exceed project and regional /business profitability goals and establish and ensure milestone dates and deliverables are met. The PEM supports and engages in a collaborative work environment between internal company functions and builds trust among peers and customers by developing strong relationships. They also use engineering background to provide sound design guidance to the design team that results in a practical and economical building solution for customers.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as primary point of contact with customers. Manage design, detailing and fabrication of steel building projects to achieve the financial and performance goals set for the project.
- Lead project teams consisting of Technicians and Engineers.
- Procure out-sourced building components such as fabricated steel, joists, decks, roof and wall panels, and miscellaneous steel.
- Work with internal and external teams to process building components.
- Ensure Heavy Structures complies with contract documents and specifications.
- Issue well defined and timely: invoices, payments, purchase orders, contracts, sub-contracts, and change orders to customers, vendors and sub-contractors.
- Maintain complete set of project documents, records and files, design drawings and erection drawings.
- Issue monthly financial and project performance reports (Project Reviews) and present to upper management.
- Work with customers to determine viability of projects for Heavy Structures and develop the most economical building solution that meet their specific needs. Create proposals for customers that include concise scopes of work, schedules, clarifications, and terms and conditions.
Minimum Education & Experience Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Architectural Engineering with a structural emphasis
5 years of experience designing and/or managing structural steel building projects in several of the following areas:
- Truss framed buildings and long span structures
- Heavy industrial crane buildings including crane runway details for heavy cranes and long span crane runways
- Highly architectural commercial buildings
- IBC, AISC, AISE 13, MBMA codes and guidelines
- Some or all of the following programs: STAAD, RISA, RAM, SAP 2000, Revit, Tekla, AutoCAD, company proprietary software
- Connection design
Ability to develop practical framing and connection solutions that are cost effective to detail, fabricate and erect
Preferred Education & Experience Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Civil or Architectural Engineering with a structural emphasis
- Registered Professional Engineer certification
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Action oriented
- Customer focus
- Ethics and values
- Integrity and trust
- Drive for results
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Timely decision making
- Functional/Technical skills
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.