Manufacturing Engineer I
- Visalia, CA, USA
- Job Posting Date: 27-Nov-2019
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Department: Manufacturing Excellence
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
I. Primary Purpose & Value of the Department & Position
The Manufacturing Engineer works in a team environment to provide manufacturing engineering support for facilities operating plans, objectives, and control of capital expenditures. The Engineer maintains involvement in the maintenance program, provides technical support as needed, and supports requests from the facility management group to ensure the facility performs to maximum efficiency. They also assist the Employee Health & Safety Manager with environmental, safety and OSHA compliance of assigned facilities.
II. Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Facility Capital Project Management
- Work within capital budget approvals to ensure projects are completed successfully and on time.
- Prepare capital expenditure requests including justification for request, present and proposed methods and return on investment calculations
- Review existing and/or develop equipment specifications, when others do not exist, for capital equipment purchases at the facility.
- Negotiate with suppliers and vendors for pricing and delivery of capital equipment.
- Review, purchase, schedule, coordinate and assist in the installation and transfer of new and used capital equipment
- Evaluate and propose capital expenditures required to support facility production and cost improvement plans
- Maintain capital asset records for all equipment, including assigning asset numbers for new equipment, tagging all new equipment, and disposing of retired assets
- Develop, implement and control the annual facilities plan
- Develop and maintain records on plant equipment layouts, utilities, and communications, including all plant layouts
- Assist Maintenance and Production departments with technical knowledge regarding equipment and manufacturing processes
- Develop methods, processes and labor standards as required
- Design and detail mechanical and hydraulic jigs, tools, fixtures, etc.
- Design and select utilities and implement procedures to control their cost
- Assist in the development and implementation of major maintenance projects
- Assist Maintenance to develop and review preventative maintenance tasks and frequencies for manufacturing, facilities and mobile equipment
- Develop facility improvement projects to increase efficiency, reduce labor and scrap, and improve facility conversion cost
- Work with plant personnel to address any improvement suggestions within the facility
- Assist facility HSE Manager to ensure compliance with all applicable OSHA, EPA, and other relevant regulations
- Provide technical knowledge of equipment and processes to address possible safety and/or environmental issues
- Assist in developing work instructions, job safety analyses, and LOTO (lock-out/tag-out) instructions for facility equipment
- Ensure that all equipment brought into and installed/used in the facility complies with OSHA and company safety standards
- Support HSE Manager to develop resolutions to issues resulting from safety concerns, Incident Reports and Incident Cause Analysis Method (ICAM’s)
I. Education & Experience Qualifications
List qualifications necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology or 7 additional years of relevant experience in lieu of degree
- 2 years of manufacturing engineering experience
- Successful project management experience
- Direct lead management background for projects totaling more than $150,000/year
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and capabilities
- 5 years of manufacturing engineering experience
- Proven successful lead management of projects totaling $250,000/year
- Experience in lean manufacturing techniques
- Equipment design and re-design experience
- Knowledge of PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controllers) and equipment controllers
- Experience with maintenance management software
II. Skills & Competencies
List additional attributes, including WITTS capabilities appropriate to role level, necessary to perform duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Project) expertise
- AutoCAD and drafting skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Action oriented
- Deals with ambiguity
- Functional and technical skills
- Good peer relationships
- Problem solving
- Drive for results
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.