Weld Engineer (Memphis, TN or Kansas City, MO)
- Memphis, TN, USA
- Job Posting Date: 12-Nov-2019
- Shift: 1st Shift
- Department: Operations
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
The Weld Engineer provides professional, expert, and technical advice and direction to company leaders on all elements of welding standards, techniques, and compliance. The Engineer develops, implements and maintains robust systems to enhance welding relevant standards, safety, quality, and productivity. The Weld Engineer also ensures processes and products are in compliance with code, accreditation, certification, and customer requirements and develops problem solving and continuous improvement activities.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides expert and technical advice to company leaders on all elements of welding standards, techniques, and specification compliance.
- Conducts quarterly audits for all welding operations and submits results to Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB).
- Partners with business leaders and Quality team members to lead the implementation of welding standards and techniques across the company.
- Develops welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment to enhance welding relevant safety, quality, and productivity
- Conducts research and development to test new processes and procedures to improve existing welding methods and equipment.
- Prepares technical reports, analyzes data, determines root cause, and recommends actions as warranted.
- Directs and coordinates technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards; in testing welds for conformance with national code requirements; or testing welding personnel for certification.
- Researches and evaluates new developments in welding field for application to current issues and processes.
- Provides recommendation for capital equipment used for thermal cutting and welding, and performs experimental welding to evaluate new equipment, techniques and materials.
- Reviews supplier capability and suitability to provide acceptable products and comply with specifications (includes 3rd party inspection and testing agencies)
Minimum Education & Experience Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Welding Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering or a related field
The following three certifications or ability to obtain them within 12 months of hire –
-- American Welding Society Certified Welding Engineer (CWEng)
-- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
-- Canadian Welding Engineer (CWE)
5 years of experience as a Weld Engineer
Familiar with various types of nondestructive testing (NDT) weld inspection procedures and requirements.
Preferred Education & Experience Qualifications
- American Welding Society Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) certification
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing NDT Level II/III certification
- 7+ years of experience as a Weld Engineer
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Expert knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures of Weld Engineering
- Understanding of equipment and technologies relevant to welding
- Ability to solve complex technical problems that require a professional level of Weld Engineering knowledge
- Knowledge of production specifications, properties and characteristics of metals and metal alloys, and engineering principles
- Knowledge of nondestructive testing scope and capabilities
- Understanding and practice of Lean/Six Sigma concepts as applied to manufacturing
- Ability to apply engineering and technical knowledge to render advice and provide judgment involving engineering problems
- Data driven mind set and strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships to solve technical issues
- Understanding of leading and lagging indicators
- Ability to mine accumulated data for trends
- Subject matter expert in compliance and technical standards and how to research them
- PC competent (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.