Maintenance Mechanic - 2nd Shift
- Visalia, CA, USA
- Job Posting Date: 27-Nov-2019
- Shift: 2nd Shift
- Department: Manufacturing
For over 100 years, BlueScope continues to build on our reputation of quality brands and products, leading technology and a customer-first spirit. Through our global brands, we are one of the largest manufacturers of building solutions in the world. Our diverse, bright and inspired workforce is committed to bettering the communities we serve through breakthrough thinking and innovations. Your goals, ideas and perspective can help shape our future – we look forward to hearing them!
Under limited supervision, the Maintenance Technician is a multi-skilled, multi-craft technician who works independently and uses judgement to install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair equipment and building systems.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs preventive maintenance, such as inspecting drives, motors, or belts, checking fluid levels, replacing filters, or doing other predictive maintenance actions.
- Diagnoses mechanical problems and determines how to correct them, checking blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
- Repairs machines, equipment, or building systems, using equipment such as precision measuring instruments or electrical or electronic testing devices.
- Installs and repairs electrical apparatus, such as transformers and wiring and electrical and electronic components of machinery and equipment.
- Repairs machines, equipment or devices to access and remove defective parts, using hoists, cranes, hand tools or power tools.
- Provides support of die maintenance and troubleshooting roll forming equipment
- Installs, programs, and repairs automated machinery and equipment such as robots or programmable controllers.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathe, grinder, drill and milling machine to repair or fabricate machine parts, jigs and fixtures and tools. Operates cutting torch or welding equipment.
- Actively participates in continuous improvement and corrective action activities
- Perform housekeeping, 5-S, and other duties as assigned
Minimum Education & Experience Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Attain ACT WorkKeys Assessment at certified job profile skill level
- 6 months of experience in industrial maintenance; or a combination of Technical school degree, craft certification, or completion of maintenance skills/craft courses and experience in industrial maintenance
Preferred Education & Experience Qualifications
- Associates degree in Industrial Maintenance or Technical school degree
- 5+ years of experience in industrial maintenance, electrical, mechanical, machinist and/or related fields
- Working knowledge of drawing software such as AutoCAD
- Proficient in reading blueprints, designing and fabricating parts
- Experience in diagnostics and repair of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and/or robotics
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Working knowledge of Computer Maintenance Management Software
- Mechanical - knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
- Equipment maintenance - Able to perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed
- Repairing - capable of repairing machines and systems using the necessary tools
- Troubleshooting - able to determine causes of operating errors and decide on actions
- Critical Thinking - capable of using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Equipment selection - able to determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to perform the work
The preceding job responsibilities and tasks were designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates in this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job duties and responsibilities required of associates assigned to this job. Associates may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Additional job competencies, individual goals, and performance measurements are set at the department level.
The benefits are just as rewarding as the work at BlueScope. To support our goal, we offer a total compensation plan and an outstanding benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, short and long term disability, paid time off, and retirement.
EEO Employer/M/F/Disabled/Protected Veteran
BlueScope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status, as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.