Software Engineer Backend - PHP/Symfony
- Paris, France
BlaBlaCar’s vision is to bring fairness, freedom and fraternity to the world of travel.
BlaBlaCar was created in 2006 with one dream in mind: fill the millions of empty seats on the road and create an efficient, affordable, and friendly way to travel. Today, our global, trusted community counts 90 million members in 22 countries, enabling a smarter, large scale and truly sustainable transport network.
Born from a simple idea of people sharing their rides, BlaBlaCar’s ambition is to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility. We offer a long-distance carpooling service, a commuting carpooling service, and long-distance bus service. A filled bus emits one-third of the emissions per passenger kilometer as an average car -- so we want to fill those seats too!
In 2019, 100 million travelers used BlaBlaCar globally, saving 1.6 million tons of CO2. Meanwhile, we enabled human connections, bringing people closer together in more ways than one, with 87% of members believing carpooling to be an enriching experience.
BlaBlaCar offers a unique international environment with a team counting 40 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 7 offices in Berlin, Kyiv, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo and Warsaw. English is the official spoken language across BlaBlaCar. We are privately-held and founder-led. Our team of 500 employees is entrepreneurial, passionate and fundamentally mission-driven.
You will be part of the team responsible for our carpooling website on a backend level. The team mission is mainly to migrate from our monolith application to smaller services by building new or integrating existing ones (external or internal).
Our main responsibility is to be the guarantor of the reliability of the existing platform (performance, security & bugfix) that runs our PHP code on a daily basis for over 90 millions members. While the monolith currently runs on Symfony 3.4 using PHP 7.4, we are transitioning towards our new stack based on JAVA services (Spring Boot).
In the future, we aim at focusing on 2 scopes:
- Everything related to notifications (sms, push, emails. Both marketing and transactional)
- The back-office and backend tools to handle community support topics (including moderation and fraud control). This is the scope of this job offer.
As a Software Engineer, you will contribute by developing features and helping the team to build a cloud compatible architecture. (Kubernetes / GKE).
You will contribute to the back-office and learn its specificities. We are currently revamping the existing tool to externalize the parts of it with less added value, and to focus on what makes a difference for our users. The tool we work on is used daily by more than 100 internal agents, and has a big impact on all the platform. To succeed in this mission, you’ll need to love helping others to make our service a better place. Also, you’ll need to masterize Symfony / Twig and be autonomous and smart.
What you will directly contribute to
Pursue the migration to a fully service oriented architecture by helping building and extract new services from the existing monolith
Maintain the existing platform
Participate in the definition of the features with the product and design teams to find the most relevant solutions for our members
Participate in the definition of the architecture to find the best solutions to achieve high performance and reliability
What you will need to be successful:
A first significant experience in engineering teams within tech companies
Expert in PHP and Symfony. Twig / Doctrine are a plus
Comfortable with change, uncertainty, and a high velocity environment
Curious, empathetic, autonomous, and collaborative attitude
Fluent in spoken and written English, proficiency in French is a plus
A few practical details about the role
- Start: As soon as you are ready!
- Location: Paris, France - Currently starting remotely, or remote from France
- Contract: full-time permanent contract
- Compensation: Competitive package based on experience
What we offer all of our employees
- The opportunity to have a meaningful impact, building a CO2-saving global travel network enabling strong human connections too.
- A strong “Fun & Serious” company culture
- State-of-the-art office spaces, in a great location
- A start-up spirit grounded in agility & teamwork
- Challenging career opportunities in a high-growth and fast-paced environment
- Bi-Weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn from each other
- Weekly Tech Demos, so that we’re all up to date with where our product stands
And some other great perks!
- Free carpooling and bus rides to live our value “Be The Member”.
- BlaBlaBreak which takes us all for an unforgettable weekend every 18 months
- Possibility to work from another BlaBlaOffice abroad for a week once a year (BlaBlaSwap)
What is next?
If you are ready to join our exciting journey, please apply below: upload your resume in English (PDF format) and answer our questions in English.
Kindly note that only complete applications will be reviewed by our hiring team and that all your information will be kept confidential.
You can expect us to review your application within the following 2 weeks. If your application and profile fit our requirements, you will go through a 3-step interviewing process.
BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.