Engineering Manager - Backend Team (full or partial remote)
- Paris, France
- Employees can work remotely
BlaBlaCar’s vision is to bring fairness, freedom and fraternity to the world of travel.
BlaBlaCar was created in 2006 with one dream in mind: fill the millions of empty seats on the road to create an efficient, affordable and friendly way to travel. Today, our global, trusted community counts 75 million members in 22 countries, enabling a smarter, large scale and truly sustainable transport network.
Born from a simple idea of people sharing their rides, BlaBlaCar’s ambition is to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility. We offer long distance carpooling service, a commuting carpooling service, and since 2018 a marketplace bus service too. A filled bus emits one third of the emissions per passenger kilometer as an average car. So we want to fill those seats too!
In 2019, 90 million travellers used BlaBlaCar with an average distance of 263 km for a trip. Meanwhile we enabled human connections, bringing people closer together in more ways than one with 87% of members say that carpooling is an enriching experience.
BlaBlaCar offers a truly and unique international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 7 offices in Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo, Warsaw. English is the official spoken language across BlaBlaCar. We are privately-held and founder-led. Our team of 500 employees is entrepreneurial, passionate, and fundamentally mission-driven.
Why join us?
As Engineering Manager of our V3 Team, you will lead 5 talented back-end engineers responsible for the services that power BlaBlaCar’s carpooling marketplace. Partnering with the other Platform Engineering teams, your mission is to help migrate the system from a PHP/Symfony monolith to a service-oriented architecture using Java/Spring Boot. You will help achieve this goal through your leadership in the following three areas:
Maintain reliable operation of the V3: Today, our 90 million members rely on the code your team maintains to provide the core of the carpooling marketplace. Fixing bugs, addressing security issues, and maintaining availability and performance are a top priority for the V3 Team.
Support the other Platform Teams: The Carpool Inventory, Identity Access Management, Monetization, Payment, and Trip Search teams are all making progress extracting services from the monolith. Your team’s role is to help the other teams to take full responsibility for their domain and provide expertise on monolith details when needed.
Grow the team to cover two new scopes: As the other Platform teams progress on their part of the migration, your team will evolve to specialize in Communication Services and Community Support Systems. The Communication Services subteam will provide platform services for communicating with our members. This includes email, SMS, push, moderation, user messaging, and ownership of the integration with our marketing system (Braze). The Community Support Systems subteam will support the Community Relations (CRT) and Trust & Safety teams by maintaining and improving back-office systems and tools. Trust and customer support are key pillars of our mobility marketplace and there are opportunities in this scope to improve the efficiency of CRT agents, member satisfaction, and increase community trust. You will need to help shape these scopes, staff the team appropriately, and build strong partnerships across the BlaBlaCar organization including the Community Relations Team and Marketing.
Reporting to the VP of Platform Engineering, you will be responsible for the engineers on the team along with the team’s roadmap, processes, and ability to deliver and operate high quality software. You will work closely with a Product Manager to identify opportunities, plan projects, manage stakeholders, and prioritize your team’s roadmap.
We’re looking for someone with a strong technical background, high emotional intelligence, and a knack for communicating technical details and business context to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
What you will need to be successful:
- Experience managing engineering teams within dynamic high-growth tech companies
- Strong track record in technical contribution and team leadership
- Ability to communicate technical and business details in writing
- Comfortable with change, uncertainty, and a high-velocity environment
- Entrepreneurial, hands-on, pragmatic, and collaborative attitude
- Fluent in English, French is a plus
A few practical details about the role
Start: As soon as you are ready!
Location: Paris HQ or remote from France
Contract: Permanent contract (CDI)
Compensation: Competitive package based on experience
What we offer all of our employees
- The opportunity to have a meaningful impact, building a CO2-saving global travel network enabling strong human connections too.
- A strong “Fun & Serious” company culture
- An international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 7 offices around the world (Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo, Warsaw)
- State-of-the-art office spaces, in a great location
- A start-up spirit grounded in agility & teamwork
- Challenging career opportunities in a high-growth and fast-paced environment
- Bi-Weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn from each other
- Weekly Tech Demos, so that we’re all up to date with where our product stands
And some other great perks!
- Free carpooling and bus rides to live our value “Be The Member”.
- BlaBlaBreak which takes us all for an unforgettable weekend every 18 months
- Possibility to work from another BlaBlaOffice abroad for a week once a year (BlaBlaSwap)
- The choice between the latest Mac or PC equipment
- Opportunity to attend Tech conferences in France and Europe
What is next ?
If you are ready to join our exciting journey, please apply below: upload your resume in English (PDF format) and answer our questions in English.
Kindly note that only complete applications will be reviewed by our hiring team and that all your information will be kept confidential.
You can expect us to review your application within the following 3 weeks. If your application fits our requirements, we will first invite you to an interview call followed by a case study and 2 onsite interviews.
BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.