Software Engineer Backend - Payment & Monetization (Open to remote from France)
- Paris, France
- Employees can work remotely
BlaBlaCar’s vision is to bring fairness, freedom and fraternity to the world of travel.
BlaBlaCar was created in 2006 with one dream in mind: fill the millions of empty seats on the road to create an efficient, affordable and friendly way to travel. Today, our global, trusted community counts 75 million members in 22 countries, enabling a smarter, large scale and truly sustainable transport network.
Born from a simple idea of people sharing their rides, BlaBlaCar’s ambition is to become the go-to marketplace for shared road mobility. We offer long distance carpooling service, a commuting carpooling service, and since 2018 a marketplace bus service too. A filled bus emits one third of the emissions per passenger kilometer as an average car. So we want to fill those seats too!
In 2018, 84 million travellers used BlaBlaCar globally saving 1.6 million tons of CO2. Meanwhile we enabled human connections, bringing people closer together in more ways than one with 87% of members say that carpooling is an enriching experience.
BlaBlaCar offers a truly and unique international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 8 offices in Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo, Warsaw. English is the official spoken language across BlaBlaCar. We are privately-held and founder-led. Our team of 500 employees is entrepreneurial, passionate, and fundamentally mission-driven.
Why join us?
To give you an idea, here are some of our current projects:
- Extend our existing payment services with new payment methods, and perpetuate its best-in-class implementation;
- Implement the new monetization service from the ground up that will allow us to monetize new markets and new products;
- Migrate all our services to a state-of-the-art solution hosted in GCP.
We believe that well performing services are ones that are followed by the same people throughout its application lifecycle. This means that you will be there from the early conception meetings, development and test strategy, to deployment in production, monitoring and support.
What you will directly contribute to
Participate in the design, development and maintenance of new Java services to contribute to our SOA migration;
Participate to the whole application lifecycle, meaning : early-meetings, conception, development, tests strategy, deploy to production, monitoring, alerting and support;
Implementing new means of payment in different countries;
Developing your skills around a sensitive element of the BlaBlaCar infrastructure;
Sharing development best practices with the team and mentor less experienced team members;
Interacting with people with different roles and backgrounds and share your technical expertise with a mix of technical, product and business experts.
What you will need to be successful:
- 2+ years experience in tech companies with a strong engineering culture;
- Fluency in object oriented language development (mainly Java and PHP);
- Good knowledge of service oriented architecture and architectural patterns;
- Familiar with databases; especially relational ones like MySQL;
- Knowledge of frameworks like Spring, Spring Boot, JUnit, Mockito, and MyBatis is appreciated;
- Hands-on experience with developer tools like Git, Docker, Kubernetes, and the ELK stack;
- Ability to find the good balance between fast iterations and quality of delivery;
- Product oriented mindset with the ambition to deliver the best experience to the end users;
- Curiosity and open-mindedness;
- Team player with a hands-on attitude and sense of humour;
- Fluent English (both written and spoken), and proficiency in French is a plus;
- Previous experience in billing environment is always a plus, but far from being mandatory.
A few practical details about the role:
Start: As soon as you are ready!
Contract: Permanent contract (CDI)
Benefits: Competitive package according to profile and experience, combined with a career development plan
What we offer all of our employees:
The opportunity to have a meaningful impact, building a CO2-saving global travel network enabling strong human connections too.
A strong “Fun & Serious” company culture
An international environment with a team counting 35 nationalities, serving a global member-base from 8 offices around the world (Berlin, Kiev, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Paris (HQ), São Paulo, Warsaw)
State-of-the-art office spaces, in a great location
And some other great perks!
Free carpooling to live our value “Be The Member”.
Annual BlaBlaBreak which takes us all for an unforgettable weekend
Possibility to work from another BlaBlaOffice abroad for a week once a year (BlaBlaSwap)
The choice between the latest Mac or PC equipment
- Opportunity to attend Tech conferences in France and Europe
A start-up spirit grounded in agility & teamwork
Challenging career opportunities in a high-growth and fast-paced environment
Bi-Weekly team-all BlaBlaTalks to learn from each other
Weekly Tech Demos, so that we’re all up to date with where our product stands
What is next?
If you are ready to join our exciting journey, please apply below: upload your resume in English (PDF format) and answer our questions in English.
Kindly note that only complete applications will be reviewed by our hiring team and that all your information will be kept confidential.
You can expect us to review your application within the following 3 weeks. If your application and profile fit our requirements, we will invite you for a first video call interview.
BlaBlaCar is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.