- Department: Environmental Health & Safety
- Region: US
About This Role
As our new Manager, EHS you will provide comprehensive Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) support to Biogen’s RTP Pharma Operations (PO&T).
This position will be a member of the RTP Pharma EHS Department and will provide a wide range of EHS support to promote site and global Environmental Health and Safety Programs as well as consult with site leadership on EHS matters. Overall responsibility of effective implementation of Biogen’s EHS Management System and to ensure compliance with applicable external regulatory requirements (i.e., OSHA, etc.). This position will focus on supporting Occupational Health and Safety programs as these programs relate to manufacturing operations in the biopharma industry.
What You’ll Do
The Manager, EHS oversees the management and implementation of EHS programs and for driving continuous improvement efforts aimed at managing EHS risk of Biogen’s operations. Primary duties are listed below:
Major Accountabilities include:
- Provides daily oversight and implementation of EHS programs, initiatives and projects as assigned in support of Biogen’s RTP Operations.
- Keeps Site Leadership informed of critical EHS issues affecting the facility.
- Ensures assigned written programs are reviewed and updated as required/necessary and develops and implements new initiatives aimed at improving the EHS performance at the site and ensuring compliance with Biogen EHS Management systems initiatives and applicable external regulations.
- Provides operational EHS support for internal customers such as Manufacturing, Engineering, and other departments. Liaison with internal customers to drive EHS solutions for new products, activities and projects. Lead cross functional teams to drive EHS initiatives.
- Provides EHS review / approval for capital projects and site construction activities, including HAZOP reviews, construction audits, and pre-commissioning activities.
- Participates in Risk Assessment evaluations to ensure the identification of high risks and associated risk reduction corrective actions.
- Completes EHS reviews of assigned events (reported via Biogen’s event reporting system) to ensure robust corrective actions are identified and significant events are appropriately investigated to reduce risk of re-occurrence.
- Other duties may include leading safety committees, managing SDSs, Contractor Safety, providing Industrial Hygiene (IH) support for Global IH initiatives, providing EHS training, supporting Biogen’s EHS Global Management programs, completes audit, inspections and work observations.
Specific skill set sought includes but not limited to the following: process safety, flammable liquid handling, lockout tagout, electrical safety, confined space entry, fall protection, fire protection, life safety, building codes, Carolina Star/OSHA VPP Programs, construction safety, contractor safety, incident investigation, industrial hygiene practices, and risk assessment techniques. This position will also be responsible for investigating reported near misses and incidents in accordance with Biogen’s event reporting system and for supporting ongoing risk reduction initiatives.
Who You Are
You have solid working knowledge and experience in supporting EHS programs from pharma or Biotech. As a person you have the ability to influence and you know how to apply your knowledge to develop and implement solutions and utilize learnings to improve work.
- MS with 8 years or BS with 10 years experience supporting EHS programs.
- Professional certifications (CSP, CIH) desired.
- MS or BS in safety, environmental, chemical engineering or other related life science field is required.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience with interacting with external regulatory agencies desired
- Ability to interact with internal and external clients of significant matters requiring coordination between functions
- Ability to embrace change in fast paced working environment
- Experience with EHS Risk Assessment techniques/processes
- Previous EHS related work experience in Biopharma field desired
- Familiar with Human Performance principles as it relates to EHS desired
Our mission to find therapies for neurological and rare diseases is a unique focus within our industry and this shared purpose is what connects us as a team. We work together to overcome obstacles and to follow the science. We are resilient as we strive to make an impact on our patients’ lives and on changing the course of medicine. Together, we pioneer. Together, we thrive.