Intern: Community Lab (RTP)
- Research Triangle Park, NC
- Department: Interns & Co-ops
- Region: US
In the RTP Community Lab, we are seeking two summer interns who are passionate about inspiring the next generation of science leaders. The vision of the Community Lab program is to engage middle and high schoolers in science and biotechnology by introducing them to the experiments and scientific processes that are part of everyday life at Biogen.
The interns will be responsible for supporting the in-depth summer lab programs for middle schoolers, high schoolers, and teachers. This is a great opportunity to be exposed to the complete drug development pipeline and learn how a biotechnology company operates. You will get the opportunity to network with over 50 employee volunteers across various departments.
Interns in the Biogen Community Lab in Research Triangle Park, NC will help to transform today's young students into the discoverers and scientific leaders of tomorrow. The mission of the Community Lab program is to engage young people in science and biotechnology by allowing them to work on real-world problems that Biogen scientists and engineers are working on daily. The Community Lab is essential to Biogen’s overall corporate social responsibility. Caring deeply. Working fearlessly. Changing lives.™ isn’t just a corporate philosophy, it’s an extension of who Biogen is as a company and how we support the communities where we live and work.
The summer interns’ main responsibility will be to assist with running the summer sessions for hundreds of middle and high school students as well as teachers. The interns will need to be flexible and adapt to delivering on-site in-person programs or on-line virtual programs. Responsibilities include testing hands-on or virtual labs, providing basic laboratory preparation and clean up, assisting with organizing summer sessions and all related paperwork, recruiting and organizing volunteers, as well as providing teaching assistance during the sessions. There will be the potential to collaborate on opportunities outside the Community Lab to enhance Biogen’s presence in the community.
Due to the nature of the program, interns will be exposed to the inner workings of North Carolina's largest biotechnology company. They will intimately understand the drug development process and will learn how to succulently communicate that process to the public. The Community Lab interns will network with over 50 employee volunteers across various departments.
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Grade point average of 3.2 or higher preferred
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- A background in the biological sciences, including basic lab experience such as micropipetting and working with DNA or bacteria
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and passion for working with students
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to use technology to effectively communicate and connect
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with another intern and the Community Lab instructor
- Creative, pioneering, agile and flexible. Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- We are seeking at least one Community Lab intern who is fluent in both spoken and written Spanish to help communicate with parents who do not speak English
Life sciences majors, such as Biology, Biotechnology, or Chemistry preferred.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.