Co-op: Native Mass Spectrometry
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Interns & Co-ops
- Region: US
This is for a 6-month position from July - December 2021.
The Analytical Biochemistry Group is a part of the Biotherapeutics and Medicinal Sciences Department within Research and Development. We provide biochemical and biophysical data for protein drug candidates and for protein reagents used for early discovery, transition, and development projects. This work helps to advance Biogen’s goal of bringing new therapies for patients with unmet medical needs. Our work includes characterization of protein structures by intact mass analysis, peptide mapping, disulfide linkage analysis, carbohydrate analysis, and hydrogen deuterium exchange using various LC-MS systems.
The co-op position will involve study of non-covalent protein-protein, protein-ligand complexes and viral capsid load determination by native mass spectrometry using a Thermo’s Q Exactive UHMR mass spectrometer. Work will include preparation of samples, operation of the mass spectrometer coupled with a nanospray ion source, optimization and development of methods, and analysis of data. The results will provide valuable insights into biomolecular complexes structure and interaction, including stoichiometry, reversibility, site-specificity, affinity and polar contributions to the binding.
To participate in the Biogen Co-op Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Grade point average of 3.2 or higher preferred
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Enthusiastic, passionate about science, and self-motivated.
- Knowledge of protein mass spectrometry and lab experience in mass spectrometry.
- Experience in native mass spectrometry is required.
Undergraduate or graduate student (preferred) in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or related fields.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.