Compliance Officer, Gulf Cluster Affiliate
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Department: Legal & Compliance
- Region: EU+/Canada
The Compliance Officer (CO) for the Gulf Cluster Affiliate (GC), as a participant of the local leadership team of Biogen’s Gulf affiliate, will lead with management the mission of driving a robust corporate culture that embraces integrity in our operations, consistent with the core values and principles of Biogen's Code of Conduct. This includes providing subject matter expertise and leadership on compliance-related matters within the organization and fostering a proactive Compliance program and ensuring that the Affiliates follow through on implementing a plan to continuously assess and enhance processes, maintaining world-class controls that are effective in managing identified risks in a manner that are easily understood and applied. The function is in charge of driving risk assessments in compliance, monitoring key control areas, ensuring that key stakeholders locally and regionally are informed on relevant risks and implementing remediation plans. As a member of the Affiliate's leadership team, the CO partners with the business to deliver sustainable business strategies, drive the right behaviors through communication and training, and is responsible for helping shape the external environment through driving industry-wide standards that are consistent with Biogen's core values. The CO reports into the regional Compliance lead and has accountability to the Affiliate General Manager. This position will be located in Dubai, UAE.
1. Business Partner: Serve as Compliance business partner for local business franchises (existing core franchises and new products) and functions (such as Regulatory, Pharmacovigilance, Value & Access, Medical, etc.) in the geographic area of responsibility (and other jurisdictions as required from time to time). Advise the business on developments in Compliance areas, as well as corporate policy and governance. Review and assess new business initiatives and projects and provide risk-mitigating strategies to enable and facilitate such business activities.
2. Design and pull-through of Compliance strategic plan consistent with the Global Corporate Compliance strategy, the Company’s business strategy and aligned with local needs and regional requirements
3. Design and maintain updated and well-organized systems and records of management decisions, policies, processes, trainings, assessments, remediation plans, investigations, and enforcement actions. Documentary evidence must be managed in a clear and easily accessible manner in conjunction with other business documentation
4. Conduct robust risk assessment and execute robust monitoring plans based on the risk assessment
5. Investigate and remediate allegations any instances of misconduct or non-compliance with policies
Bachelor (equivalent) degree required.
Advanced degree in law, accounting, or business administration a plus.·
7+ years of experience working in compliance, which can comprised of 5 years working directly in compliance and additional experience in other governance areas, such as legal, finance, quality, or audit.
· Prior management experience is a plus
· Relevant experience in the life sciences industry
· Ability to influence others to drive action and unlock problems, without creating disruption
· Effective communication and presentation skills directed to sophisticated and front-line audiences, including the ability to synthetize complex information into executive messages
· Strong learning agility to relate past experiences to new challenges
· Ability to absorb partial information from different sources and make sound judgment even with ambiguity
· Experience working in and being comfortable with matrix organization and reporting lines, and cross-functional teams without clear single leadership
· Strong project management and strategic planning skills
· Work effectively with Windows Office package to design policies, management documents, presentations, control databases, KPIs, and dashboards
· Able to work independently and to prioritize multiple demands
· Ability to identify compliance issues quickly, synthesize impact and determine root cause
· Fluency in written and spoken English
· Proficiency in Arabic or other languages spoken in Gulf region a strong plus.