- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Research & Development
- Region: US
Biogen is seeking a Bioinformatics Engineer to join our research group in Cambridge, MA. This role will fall under the Genome Technology and Computational Sciences group which provides scientists with cutting-edge computational informatics and analytics tools and services in support of research and early development. The team has the technical depth, agility and great motivation to solve scientifically demanding problems. The Bioinformatics Engineer will be involved in the development of bioinformatics pipelines, R Shiny applications, and visualization tools. This position will also be responsible for developing bioinformatics tools and implementation of laboratory information systems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop bioinformatics tools and pipelines for massively parallel sequencing (NGS) genomic data
- Apply analysis to support assay development experiments and guide experimental approaches
- Must have strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with biologists, bioinformatics scientists, software developers and IT staff.
- Able to work independently on complex projects, anticipate and overcome challenges, negotiate requirements and time lines to deliver results.
- Present at internal meetings and conferences.
- 1-3 years of Professional Experience with building/supporting/using bioinformatics pipelines
- Experience with statistical and mathematical modeling with genomic data
- Experience using bioinformatics tools for NGS data analysis, PCR and comparative sequence analysis. Experience with genomic analysis of sequencing data
- Understand the algorithms used in these tools and how they are applicable to your projects.
- Excellent working knowledge of Java, Python, R and databases.
- Experience writing R Shiny applications.
- Scientific background in NGS, bioinformatics and molecular biology is required
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience with and/or administration of laboratory information systems
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Bioinformatics, Bioengineering, Computer Science, etc.). Master’s in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field is highly desirable.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.