Sr. Manager, Strategic Sourcing
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Finance & Accounting
- Region: US
At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world’s first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, MS and neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
Global Business Services
The Global Business Services (GBS) team is a newly formed organization established to transform Biogen’s business processes to set a platform to scale global operations, fuel commercial growth and the innovation pipeline. Further, GBS will provide further value by developing and delivering a suite of business solutions and support services that are valued by internal customers. GBS will deliver services by leveraging a global delivery model, operational transparency and metrics, leveraging global best practices, and a service-oriented process improvement culture. All solutions will be supported by strong business cases and ultimately monitored for the effectiveness and efficiency against benchmarks and service level agreements.
The vision of GBS at Biogen is to be recognized as a world-class Global Business Services organization driven by the desire for excellence in its people, business solutions, execution and partnerships with internal customers.
The GBS team will champion building a continuous improvement culture that other parts of the organization will recognize and seek out for business support. We are developing a performance-based culture supported by tools, training, and well-defined accountability, where people can build their career or prepare for a role in the wider business or elsewhere within GBS. We seek individuals who can enhance our team with their knowledge, skills, innovation, collaboration and “can do” attitude.
Reporting to the Director, Clinical Services Category Leadership, this is a global, strategic sourcing position responsible for outsourced clinical services (all services related to clinical trial startup, execution, and closeout). This includes developing and executing sourcing strategies that deliver value by reducing risk, improving quality, and reducing costs. This position leads cross-functional teams & interfaces with key internal clients to obtain their sponsorship, understand their sourcing needs, perform market research, devise sourcing strategies, lead supplier selection process of (e.g., competitive bidding, partnership development, consolidation/reducing complexities of the buy, etc.) and negotiate agreements. In addition, this role leads broader category management including supplier relationship management by partnering with the assigned business units to facilitate supplier performance monitoring, continuous improvement, and innovation. Further, this position works collaboratively with the Clinical Contracts team to enable implementation of sourcing strategies at the study and program level and acts as a Subject Matter Expert for assigned categories.
Additional responsibilities of the Senior Manager, Strategic Sourcing - Clinical Services includes:
• Analyze the stakeholder landscape and develop long term category and sourcing strategies within CRO and other assigned categories. This includes analyzing category spend to understand current state, obtaining business requirements from key internal clients, identifying and leading cross-functional sourcing teams, conducting market research, and creating a sourcing strategy from these elements of due diligence.
• Execution of sourcing strategies. This includes identifying and leading cross-functional teams, developing and managing the sourcing implementation plans, and performing all business-related functions of the sourcing initiative, negotiating contracts, and transitioning to the business units for physical implementation. Work collaboratively with the Clinical Contracts team to ensure study and program SOWs continue to follow implemented sourcing strategy and contractual terms.
• Supplier relationship management. This includes development and tracking of key performance indicators for the category of spend, facilitating strategic supplier-company business meetings that drive adherence to contractual agreements, continuous improvement and innovation.
• Category maintenance. This includes contract life-cycle management (e.g., renewing expiring contracts, updating pricing annually, etc.), category databases (e.g., refreshing internal business requirement/impact metrics, supplier capabilities database, etc.), scanning the marketplace for changes and managing any known or potential business impact and developing risk mitigation plans.
Savings and Value Tracking. This includes estimating, updating, and tracking targets savings and value against actuals and providing input to savings and realized value reporting on a regular basis.
• Continuous Improvement. This includes both department/category business process improvements (e.g., spend taxonomy, enhancements to the sourcing process, development or revision of key sourcing procedures, documenting processes, etc.) and personal development.
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience working within the Biotech/Pharmaceutical or supply chain field.
• Experience negotiating contracts; strong analytical capabilities to evaluate deals and understand what are fair and optimal pricing structures
• Advanced MS Excel skills
• Experience working in a matrix environment with indirect reporting structures
• Specialized technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: operations, supply chain, biotech/pharma R&D, GMPs, Sourcing, business acumen
• Ability to communicate effectively with business unit clients; Excellent presentation skills
• Ability to develop, enhance and execute on processes and procedures; regularly contributes to development of new or enhancement of existing business process methodologies and tools.
• Strong project management skills
• Working in a GMP environment with understanding of regulations preferred but not required.
• Bachelor's degree in Supply Chain, Engineering, Finance, Life Sciences, or a related field
• MBA preferred.
This is a global, strategic sourcing position responsible for outsourced clinical services (all services related to clinical trial startup, execution, and closeout).