Principal Scientist, Pathologist
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Research & Development
- Region: US
Biogen is seeking an experienced toxicologic pathologist to join our dynamic Comparative Pathology Group. Comparative Pathology is part of the Preclinical Safety Department which is comprised of pathologists, discovery & development toxicologists, and study management professionals to provide the global nonclinical safety assessment of novel biotherapeutics across all therapeutic areas from its location at Biogen’s Cambridge, MA campus.
We take pride in providing the toxicologic and investigative pathology support to program teams that are targeting serious neurologic diseases using a variety of therapeutic modalities (gene therapy, antisense oligonucleotides (ASOs), protein therapeutics, and small molecules). This role serves as a program pathologist and leads the planning, conduct, interpretation, and communication of pathology aspects of nonclinical safety studies to enable the progress of programs to decision points. It offers the opportunity to interact with high quality, motivated scientists across disciplines within the Biogen R&D organization and external partners.
- Serve as the Comparative Pathology representative for Discovery and/or Development programs
- Accountable for providing pathology input on the design, conduct, interpretation, and communication of nonclinical safety studies.
- Serve as primary pathologist for internal non-GLP studies and as peer review pathologist for non-GLP and GLP compliant toxicity studies performed at CROs
- Responsible for providing a comparative pathology perspective to drug discovery and development teams as to the potential relevance of findings arising from nonclinical safety studies.
- Writes and contributes to scientific reports and manuscripts, regulatory documents, and position papers.
- Works effectively and collaboratively with all Preclinical Safety scientists (Toxicologists, Study Managers, Pathologists) and scientists in other functions (e.g., Research, DMPK, Medicinal Chemistry, Clinical Safety, Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Development, Regulatory Affairs).
- Actively contributes to creative approaches and solutions to achieve program and company objectives.
- May serve as a Preclinical Safety representative for programs and/or participate in or lead projects/initiatives inside or outside of the department.
- Recognized knowledge and expertise in the field of toxicologic pathology and a strong scientific record is required.
- The ideal candidate should have experience in drug discovery and development support.
- Experience in formulating and implementing investigative plans considered a plus.
- 10+ years toxicologic pathology experience in biopharmaceutical setting.
- Must possess good communication and technical writing skills.
- Individuals are expected to act with integrity, to be action-oriented, to be flexible in their approaches, and to effectively prioritize their work.
- DVM/MD and PhD in a relevant scientific discipline. Exceptional non-PhDs considered
- DACVP or equivalent required.
This role serves as a program pathologist and leads the planning, conduct, interpretation, and communication of pathology aspects of nonclinical safety studies to enable the progress of programs to decision points. It offers the opportunity to interact with high quality, motivated scientists across disciplines within the Biogen R&D organization and external partners.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.