Associate Director, Clinical Operations - Business Performance Management
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Research & Development
- Region: US
The Associate Director, Business Performance Management (BPM) provides overall leadership, management and guidance to performance improvements for Global Clinical Operations (GCO). The role sits with the Performance Operational Capabilities (POC) job family.
The role brings both strategic thinking and strong implementation skills and is critical to the successful execution and management of performance improvement efforts sponsored by GCO and/or other organizations within Biogen that impact GCO.
There are 3 service areas within the Business Performance Management (BPM) group: Process Improvement & Process Management, Systems & Technology, and Analytics & Metrics. Given the inherent interconnectedness of these areas, this position requires knowledge in all areas to effectively lead and manage initiatives and flexibility to serve in all areas. This role will be responsible for and domain expert in at least one of the areas below with experience and responsibility in all three.
Process Improvement & Process Management
- Lead, guide and oversee the strategy, oversight and implementation of process improvement initiatives within GCO
- Lead and facilitate individual process improvement initiatives (e.g. Kaizen, process re/design, root cause analysis, etc.) either through external consultant and/or internal resource support
- Provide guidance and support to efficient functioning of GCO processes to ensure they meet required output performance and compliance expectations and appropriate control measures are built in
- Ensures close collaborative working relationships with the process owners and relevant functional areas to ensure appropriate stakeholder feedback has been obtained, and communication & training are appropriately delivered.
- Lead and support lessons learned and After Action Review (AARs) strategy and implementation for GCO. Effectively liaise with other relevant functions at Biogen to align on overarching AAR vision and strategy.
Analytics and Metrics
- Lead, guide and collaborate to establish GCO process performance metrics and goals and ensure they align with higher level company goals.
- Facilitate and guide towards the optimal method to trend, visualize and report on these metrics.
- Liaise with appropriate business functions and IT function to ensure reports and visualizations are built per business requirements
GCO Systems & Technology
- Lead and guide the strategic direction, gain alignment, and secure commitment across GCO and its stakeholders, for anything related to GCO’s systems and technology.
- Oversee the IT portfolio for GCO and ensure business needs are met by appropriate business adoption of systems and tools
- Liaise with appropriate business functions and IT function for performance improvement efforts that have dependencies on IT systems and technology.
- Facilitate and guide towards the optimal use of technology to enable efficiency in business processes.
- Provide assessment on technology from the business point of view and identify gaps, risks, benefits, and impact to business processes
- Build and execute on business transition plans for clinical systems (implement new systems, phase out of old systems, and shift to CRO Partners or Cloud based systems). Lead the collaboration and liaising efforts with IT function on implementation of such plans and technical integration.
- Support adoption of technology to meet business needs and support establishing the appropriate business guidance documentation for users
- Provides leadership, management and guidance to direct reports. Is responsible for recruiting and hiring staff and contractors (as needed), conducting performance management, career development, compensation planning, etc.
- 8+ years in clinical research/ biotech / pharmaceutical area
- Strong foundation in clinical operations knowledge
- Lean Six Sigma Certification (Black Belt preferred; Green Belt a must) and/or other relevant certification or direct experience leading operational excellence initiatives
- Excellent leadership skills and project / program management skills
- Excellent people management, conflict resolution, and team building skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, prioritize critical needs, and act decisively
- Excellent written and oral communication skills a must
- Bachelor's Degree required, MBA/MS/MA preferred
This is a leadership opportunity within Biogen's Global Clinical Operations (GCO). GCO is part of the Clinical Sciences (CS) organization in R&D and provides expert operational delivery on Biogen’s R&D clinical pipeline. This position in GCO is within the Performance Operations Capability (POC) team. The POC group has an inherent process improvement mindset and takes a data driven approach to creating innovative solutions. This position will be leading and driving large to medium scale process improvement initiatives that are at the intersection of technology, process and analytics. Strong foundation in clinical operations knowledge is desired.