Project Management Lead, Global Real Estate & Facilities
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Finance & Accounting
- Region: US
At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world’s first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, MS and neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
Global Business Services and Business Optimization
The Global Business Services (GBS) and Business Optimization team is a newly formed organization established to transform Biogen’s business processes to set a platform to scale global operations, fuel commercial growth and the innovation pipeline. Further, GBS will provide further value by developing and delivering a suite of business solutions and support services that are valued by internal customers. GBS will deliver services by leveraging a global delivery model, operational transparency and metrics, leveraging global best practices, and a service-oriented process improvement culture. All solutions will be supported by strong business cases and ultimately monitored for the effectiveness and efficiency against benchmarks and service level agreements.
The vision of GBS at Biogen is to be recognized as a world-class Global Business Services organization driven by the desire for excellence in its people, business solutions, execution and partnerships with internal customers.
A global leadership opportunity to lead a team of Project Management professionals in the Global Real Estate and Facilities Management (non technical) organization. This role is responsible for $30-$40M of annual capital spend across a global portfolio of 45 locations, consisting of 4.3 MSF of space. This role will collaborate with cross functional leaders at Biogen to ensure a tight integration of Real Estate, project management and facilities services across the globe in a highly-regulated environment.
Reporting to the Head of Global Real Estate, the Project Management Lead provides leadership in planning, budgeting, and overall management of capital projects and initiatives. He/she will provide oversight to multiple high-complexity projects of diverse scope from conceptualization through design, bidding, construction, commissioning, close out and handover. Various project types include interior new build and refresh fit-outs (lab and office), infrastructure improvements and other minor capital projects. This leader will coordinate with other real estate functional teams and manage project resources to ensure projects are completed on time, within budget, to stakeholder requirements, with minimal operational disruption, while also mitigating risk to the company.
The Project Management Lead should be a visionary who can mentor the existing PM team and implement industry best practices related to business processes, governance and strategic planning. The ability to develop strong relationships, prepare and present clear and comprehensive business cases and drive new initiatives will be essential. The successful candidate will lead, develop and execute capital strategies in support of the business, build and lead organizational capability, and implement efficient systems to achieve a best-in-class Project Management function in a Biotech environment.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
• Act as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert to the business for all project-related activities
• Develop and maintain effective relationships with real estate Partners, landlord representatives, cross-functional departments, and the business teams to ensure project goals and requirements are clearly defined and communicated to all parties
• Management and ownership of the annual capital budget and execution of global design and constructions projects (excluding technical and Manufacturing sites) totaling up to $40M per year
• Lead and manage the efforts of third-party consultants, vendors, and key cross-functional departments to perform all project-related activities according to project milestones/timelines
• Develop a 5-year capital plan, and prepare and monitor annual capital budgets at the project level, providing explanations for variations
• Evaluate various organizational models and strategic partner relationships and implement those that are best aligned to optimize the function
• Implement project tracking mechanisms to be able to provide timely and concise updates on project progress to senior management and key stakeholders
• Manage all external design team professionals from project inception through completion and ensure they produce thorough and accurate drawings which comply with all established standards
• Review all construction drawing documents and specifications, coordinating necessary reviews with business unit representatives and regulatory authorities
• Working closely with Global Procurement, direct the bid evaluation and contract award processes and coordinate the negotiation of contracts with general contractors, and oversight of construction management activities
• Manage Service Level Agreements with strategic partners, in alignment with Procurement
• Manage relationships with all internal Company services, such as EHS, IT/AV, Security and Procurement, to ensure all requirements are satisfied
• Oversee the coordination of outside resources regarding the inventory, acquisition and disposition of furniture and/or other excess assets on assigned projects
• Seek continuous improvement by challenging existing business processes, technologies and systems to drive greater efficiencies for the business
• Coordinate with Facilities Management to insure clean turnover of space for effective operations
• Establish and track Key performance Indicators (KPI) to identify future improvement opportunities
• Manage performance, provide mentorship and growth opportunities to a team of 4 project managers
The ideal candidate will be a proactive, collaborative leader who can articulate a vision, set direction and engage and motivate a team to achieve outstanding results. This individual must be able to engage and influence other functions and key stakeholders in a collaborative manner to achieve the desired outcomes. He/she must combine a strong strategic focus with natural analytical skills and project execution capability that has been acquired and developed in a complex, international environment.
• Minimum 8-10+ years of experience in progressively more responsible Real Estate/Project Management leadership roles within a multinational, FDA regulated (med device, pharma or other FDA regulated) organizations
• Deep knowledge of all aspects of Project Management
• Strategic thinker and visionary with an equal passion to implement and execute
• Strong understanding of partnering with R&D operations under a strong quality system
• Proven ability to see a vision and gain alignment across the organization with exceptional impacting and influencing skills
• Must demonstrate a passion for, and proven success in, driving continuous process improvement; Lean and Six Sigma training and/or certification is a decided plus
• Demonstrates strategic enterprise thinking, finding innovative ways to deliver results, and build trust, reputation and business
• High level of business acumen
• Must possess outstanding communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills and the ability to work with enterprise-wide information systems
• Ability to manage conflict and pressure by effectively facilitating healthy interaction, discourse and decision making that build consensus and alignment
• Manage with empathy and be able to carry the tough messages with dignity, class and understanding of potential impact on others.
• Must be sensitive to and can manage cross culturally
• Creates the environment that inspires and enables people to collaborate and move the organization forward
• Track record of elevating the capabilities of an organization
• Operating in a Shared Services/Global Business Services environment a plus
• A recognized qualification in Real Estate or Project Management would be considered a bonus
University/bachelor’s degree, preferably in engineering and/or business administration or other relevant discipline. An advanced degree and/or a Project Management or Corporate Real Estate certification is highly preferred.
A global leadership opportunity to lead a team of Project Management professionals in the Global Real Estate and Facilities Management (non technical) organization. This role is responsible for $30-$40M of annual capital spend across a global portfolio of 45 locations, consisting of 4.3 MSF of space. A global leadership opportunity to lead a team of Project Management professionals in the Global Real Estate and Facilities Management (non technical) organization. This role is responsible for $30-$40M of annual capital spend across a global portfolio of 45 locations, consisting of 4.3 MSF of space.