Co-op: Antisense Oligonucleotide (ASO) Process R&D
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Interns & Co-ops
- Region: US
The summer interns position provides an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience and exposure to the manufacturing process R&D activities. Working closely with the Antisense Oligonucleotide (ASO) chemistry and analytical development teams.
Sulfurization is a critical step in antisense oligonucleotides synthesis; however, the mechanism is poorly understood. We have discovered a novel solid phase oligonucleotide synthetic protocol to minimize impurity formation, where the sulfurization plays a dual role. The goal of this project is to verify the critical results, conduct intermediates characterizations, and mechanistic study, and to investigate potential ways to improve the current sulfurization process and/or design better sulfurization agents based on the knowledge gained.
- The student will carry out all of the experiments designed by his or her supervisors to address the key issues.
- Synthesis ASO fragments through synthesizer.
- Record all the experiments carried out, all the analytical data collected, and observations.
- Update progress to supervisors on a daily or weekly basis.
- Actively interacts with supervisors to gain understanding of principles, experimental designs, and data interpretation.
- Complete research reports before completion of the Co-op term
To participate in the Biogen Co-op Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Grade point average of 3.2 or higher preferred
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Basic organic chemistry knowledge and lab skills: chromatography, balance, HPLC, NMR etc.
- Good understanding of safety regarding working in a chemistry lab.
- Laboratory experience in organic chemistry research.
- Enrollment in a full-time undergraduate or graduate program, returning to the academic program following Biogen Intern or Co-op assignment
PhD candidate or MS students majoring in organic chemistry with extensive organic lab experience
Relocation is not offered for this position.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.