Manager, Service Delivery Management, Global Business Services (GBS)
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Finance & Accounting
- Region: US
At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world’s first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, MS and neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
Global Business Services and Business Optimization
The Global Business Services (GBS) and Business Optimization team is a newly formed organization established to transform Biogen’s business processes with a vision of “Lean and Simple” operations to fuel commercial growth and the innovation pipeline. Further, GBS will provide further value by developing and delivering a suite of business solutions and support services that are valued by internal customers. GBS will deliver services by leveraging a global delivery model, operational transparency and metrics, leveraging global best practices, and a service-oriented process improvement culture. All solutions will be supported by strong business cases and ultimately monitored for the effectiveness and efficiency against benchmarks and service level agreements.
The vision of GBS at Biogen is to be recognized as a world-class Global Business Services organization driven by the desire for excellence in its people, business solutions, execution and partnerships with internal customers to develop “Lean and Simple” business solutions.
The GBS Business Optimization team will champion building a continuous improvement culture that other parts of the organization will recognize and seek out for business support. We are developing a performance-based culture supported by tools, training, and well-defined accountability, where people can build their career or prepare for a role in the wider business or elsewhere within GBS. We seek individuals who can enhance our team with their knowledge, skills, innovation, collaboration and “can do” attitude.
Service management/infrastructure is the foundation that underpins the successful operation and management of a world class Global Business Services organization. The Manager, Service Delivery Management acts as a steward for all 16 elements of Service Infrastructure, with focus on 4 elements to start with - Performance Management, Communications & Branding, Knowledge Management, and Risk Management/Business Continuity Planning. Primary responsibilities include:
• Work closely with delivery team leads to define and measure Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and other metrics
• Develop dashboard and materials for operational reviews across Cambridge and RTP sites
• Partner with Global Process Stewards, Service Infrastructure and Service Delivery leaders to ensure consistency on process and measurement across all GBS delivery sites
Communications & Branding
• Play a key role in shaping the GBS brand through fully understanding and appreciating the GBS service model and value proposition
• Bring to life the GBS value proposition through visually appealing and engaging methods that align with the diverse employee population at Biogen
• Ensures consistent communication of GBS strategy and value proposition within GBS function (across multiple sites) and to broader Biogen
• Plan, develop and maintain content and materials for use in various communications mediums, i.e. PowerPoint, intranet, digital newsletters, etc.
• Work closely with GBS leaders and stakeholders to define, design and maintain content on intranet page for GBS
• Develop, execute and maintain the content management process for Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Work Instructions (WI) to ensure document owners review and update on a timely basis
Risk Management/Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
• Work closely with GBS leadership to define and establish a plan to ensure Business Continuity across all GBS delivery sites
• Establish process to test the BCP, train key personnel and engage with GBS business partners to enable the plan
The Manager, Service Delivery Management also fosters team professional development through mentoring and coaching resources within Shared Services on Shared Service methodologies. This role contributes to the group’s strategic plan for our Service Infrastructure design/operation and plays a key role in GBS strategy execution and operations.
This position reports to the Program Director, GBS Business Excellence.
• Work with businesses and other shared service leaders to proactively identify, prioritize, facilitate and lead Communications and Branding, and Knowledge Management projects
• Partner with Biogen GBS executives to develop the GBS Value Story, develop branding and communications to educate constituents on the GBS value proposition
• Act as a coordination point for the Global Process Owners and other functional owners for Communications and Branding, and Knowledge Management aspects of Service Infrastructure
Manage the 'run' for Service Infrastructure
• Ensure standardization of Service Infrastructure components across GBS Service Lines to drive economies of scale
• Facilitate meetings to define, create and maintain process and materials related to Performance Management, Communications and Branding, Knowledge Management, and Business Continuity; align key stakeholders to ensure sustainability
• Act as steward for all Service Infrastructure, ensuring completeness and timeliness
• Manage regular communications, training and change management of Service Infrastructure elements to the shared services team
• Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a cross-functional global team
• Motivate, mentor and teach others the principles and tools of Service Infrastructure with the ability to create a culture of continuous improvement throughout Biogen
• Foster a diverse workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational objectives
• Demonstrate proficiency effectively presenting complex topics in an easy-to-understand manner and facilitating meetings with Directors, Vice Presidents, and Business owners
• Monitor and ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
• The position requires strong collaborative, communication and change management skills and global awareness and sensitive to multiple cultures
• Make continuous improvement recommendations related to Service Infrastructure and present conclusions to businesses, functions and management by leveraging leading practices and benchmarking performance across Global Business Services
The Manager, Service Delivery Management, GBS should possess the following characteristics:
• Strong leadership skills and ability to motive global teams working under tight timelines/budgets
• Executive presence and influence skills – ability to develop strong, compelling value propositions and influence executive levels stakeholders
• Superior problem-solving skills, leadership qualities, influencing, global mindset, communication and consulting skills, team/interpersonal skills. Outstanding ability to diagnose problems which could be related to process, technology, strategy or people and put in place actions/measures
• High attention to detail and organization; must be able to organize documentation/content in an efficient and user-friendly manner
• Project / Program Management experience with formal qualifications (PMP, Prince 2, APM etc.) preferred
• PC literacy: skilled in creating visually appealing digital content; ability to quickly learn and productively use new software applications
Background / Experience required
The ideal candidate for the Manager, Service Delivery Management, GBS role will have the following experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Masters’ degree preferred
• 5+ years of progressive Shared Services/Global Business Services experience strongly preferred
• High affinity to new media, digital tools, social media – a digital native
• Life sciences/bio pharma and/or prior GBS work experience strongly preferred
• International experience/global mindset – self-awareness of communication styles and cultural differences
• Consultative style – ability to formulate and articulate a perspective and present it in a way to create understanding and alignment on issues (from strategy to tactics)
• PC literacy: interested and ability to quickly learn and productively use new software applications
• Language: an additional language is an asset
• Travel: occasional; limited travel to other Biogen sites may be required
Service management/infrastructure is the foundation that underpins the successful operation and management of a world class Global Business Services organization. The Manager, Service Delivery Management acts as a steward for all 16 elements of Service Infrastructure, with focus on 4 elements to start with - Performance Management, Communications & Branding, Knowledge Management, and Risk Management/Business Continuity Planning.