Sr. Associate I, EHS (Laboratory Safety)
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Environmental Health & Safety
- Region: US
This position provides Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) support to Biogen’s Cambridge operations, which includes R&D and technical development laboratory operations. As a member of the Cambridge EHS Department, this position works closely with laboratory employees to implement various environmental, health, and safety programs that support compliance and risk management activities. Specific skill set sought includes but not limited to the following: general laboratory safety, industrial hygiene, emergency response, chemical inventory, ergonomics, personal protective equipment, working knowledge of biosafety and radiation safety, and incident investigation.
The Sr. EHS Associate I will implement EHS programs as assigned and drives continuous improvement efforts aimed at managing EHS risks. Primary duties are listed below:
Major Accountabilities include:
Provides daily oversight and implementation of EHS programs, initiatives and projects as assigned
- Provides hands-on EHS support for laboratory safety
- Creates and develops relationships with internal clients
- Assists with incident investigations, root cause determinations, and identification of corrective and preventative actions
- Conducts EHS inspections, documents findings, works with area owners to implement corrective actions, and communicates results
- Develops EHS training materials and delivers classroom and on-the-job training
- Participates in EHS stakeholder engagement events and activities
- Works with other EHS team members to support safety across site
- Participates in risk assessment evaluations to ensure the identification of high risks and associated risk reduction corrective actions
- Participates in emergency response, including on-call
Provides operational implementation of Chemical Hygiene Plan that support compliance and risk management activities.
- Conducts qualitative and quantitative exposure assessments and prepares reports
- Oversees hazardous waste program operations related to the collection and disposal of chemical and biohazardous waste
- Evaluates EHS risks associated with new or changes to existing laboratory equipment and/or processes to ensure sufficient controls are identified and implemented
- Oversees management of site chemical inventory system and Safety Data Sheets (SDS) process to ensure SDS’s are up-to-date and are available via Biogen’s online SDS management system
- Partners with ergonomist to manage risks associated with office and laboratory operations
- Manages Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) program including the assessment process and identification of task specific PPE
- Assists Biosafety Officer and Radiation Safety Officer in the implementation and administration of tasks related to these programs such as inspections, protocol reviews, recordkeeping, risk assessments and training
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience required
- Experience in implementing EHS programs including general laboratory safety, emergency preparedness and response, inspections, and incident investigations.
- Understanding of EHS management systems
- Familiar with Human Performance principles as it relates to EHS desired
- Advanced interpersonal skills focused on collaboration, innovation, and inclusion
- Experienced presenter and speaker; excellent writing skills.
- Experience with interacting with external regulatory agencies desired
- Ability to embrace change in fast paced working environment
- Previous EHS related work experience in Biopharma field desired
B.S. in life sciences, environmental field or another related field required. Professional certification (Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist) desirable. Involvement with professional associations as a participant desirable.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.