BUSINESS LAWYER ( SHANGHAI / BEIJING / CHENGDU - CHINA )
- Shanghai, China
Believe is above all a passion for music, tech, and digital marketing, shared by over 1,200 talented people in more than 45 countries. It is a visionary and entrepreneurial spirit that drives us and makes us a world leader in the digital distribution of music.
Believe is a tribe of experts who successfully meet the challenges of the transformation of our music industry every day. It’s an adventure, a human adventure, and one that is propitious and stimulating for all of us.
Finally, Believe is a story that began in 2005 and that we must continue to narrate, now, and with you. Believe's mission is to develop labels and artists in the most suitable way, at each stage of their career and development. In all local markets around the world. With respect, expertise, fairness and transparency.
You will be in charge of managing the legal matters of the affiliated companies of the Believe Group in Mainland China, Taiwan and Honk-Kong, mostly but not only in contract law and music law. Handling commercial agreements, you will ensure the Group’s processes, contract templates and guidelines are applied. You will negotiate contracts and will provide legal support to the Sales teams (Distribution and Artist Services departments).
Your specific goal is to support the local sales team to sign contracts as quickly as possible, while protecting Believe and complying with Believe's procedures and Business Rules.
In practical terms, your tasks and responsibilities shall be:
- Implement the guidelines, processes and policies set up by the Group Central Departements, as adapted if needed to comply with the local laws, and control they are applied;
- Propose improvements of such policies and processes, to ensure they remain legally compliant;
- Review and negotiate contracts with our customers (music labels and artists), or providers when applicable, in accordance with the Group guidelines and in cooperation with the Sales Team, and ensure such contracts are operable under the IT system of the Group. Main core business contracts are about copyright (synchronization licenses, compilation licenses, broadcast agreements, recording rights, publishing rights, etc), services designed for artists, advertising, collective societies;
- Ensure general contracts administration and coordination (including compiling contract terms for the Royalties team and monitoring contract duration);
- Liaise with Central Business Legal department to seek approval and ensure contracts are fully operable;
- Assist on corporate life of the affiliates of the Group located in Mainland China, Taiwan and Honk-Kong, and on local corporate operations;
- Legal monitoring on local laws, interface of the Group for any local legal matter and risk prevention
- Liaise will local external attorneys.
You will report in solid line to the Believe General Manager Operations in Shanghai and in dotted line to the Chief Legal Office of Believe based in France. You will work on a day to day basis with teams based in Mainland China, Taiwan and Honk-Kong, (Sales Team, Ops Team, Finance team, etc) and with the Central Legal Department located in France.
You will have a proactive approach and will pay constant attention to support the needs and deployment of the Group, while you will protect its interests. You are cooperative and straightforward and at the same time you listen to the Sales Team needs. From this standpoint your activity will be monitored through a reporting tool and KPIs. The working environment is Chinese and international, with a huge growth and ongoing restructuring. The language for day to day working with Central teams is English.
If you think the job is made for you, please apply.
- Diploma: You have a Master degree in IP law and contract law (Chinese laws)
- Experience: You have minimum 5 years as a lawyer in an international Group, with a large background on entertainment and music in an international company would be highly appreciated. You are experienced on contract processing and control of Group processes
- Language: Fluent English is essential (written and spoken), with legal practice. English is the main language used within the Group.
- Soft skills:
o Highly motivated, leadership and organizational skills, excellent time management skills. Capable of juggling various projects at the same time
o Proactive, cooperative and straightforward approach. Excellent attention to detail, autonomous and good adaptation skills.
o Proven aptitude for reporting. Used to working with Groups headquartered abroad, and with management located abroad (ideally Europe or USA).
o Constant attention to support the needs and deployment of the Group, while protecting its interests.
o Team player, inter-personal skills that enable you to communicate efficiently at different levels of the Group.
o Excellent knowledge of music rights and commercial contracts. Confident negotiator of commercial contracts
Believe strongly promotes equal treatment regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, martial or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.