- Quincy, MA, USA
Bay State Community Services is a comprehensive social services agency looking for dedicated and compassionate individuals who want to make a difference. We are committed to supporting, training and supervising our staff with the hopes that they will grow within the agency. We are proud of the longevity of our staff, many of whom have called BSCS their work home for over 20 years.
If being part of an agency that has an excellent reputation, strength-based supervision, and high regard when it comes to honoring the mission of our work, BSCS is the right place for you.
Staff Accountant will Report to the Controller, the Staff Accountant shares responsibility for managing the accounting system including the general ledger, annual support and program revenue and receivables, accounts payable, cash management, and monthly journal entries.
- Prepare monthly journal entries to support timely monthly closing of A/P and G/L
- Assist Controller in preparing quarterly and annual financial reports
- Support annual budget creation process for $19M and growing organization
- Participate in the annual audit, including preparation of audit workpapers, resolution of all audit questions, and acting as co-liaison between auditors and employees
- Maintain prepaid schedules and reconcile balance sheet accounts
- Serve as back-up for the A/P function
- Review and reconcile A/P aging each month
- Review check register, month-end reports
- Record support and program revenue in the general ledger
- Reconcile support revenue and receivables.
- Process revenue and receipts from funders, and miscellaneous deposits for proper coding and record-keeping
- Prepare reconciliation of cash and credit card accounts monthly
Additional duties and responsibilities
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Work with various managers to ensure proper billing and completion of financial reports
Assist Controller with ad hoc assignments
- BA degree in Accounting or similar field, with a minimum of 3-5 years general accounting experience
· Previous experience with month end closing and reporting.
· Knowledge and experience working with GAAP, A-133 audits and familiarity with OMB Super Circular
- Self-starter, takes initiative on researching answers and at the same time, knowing when to ask for assistance
- Expertise with Excel and advanced functions
- Ability to exercise discretion with confidential information
- Detail-oriented, but able to see the big picture
- Excellent communication skills
- Process re-engineering or accounting system design experience is a plus
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel; team player
Full Time 40-50k
ATTENTION! BSCS is hosting Job Information Sessions every FRIDAY from 9-12 at our Main location—1120 Hancock Street, Quincy. Come meet our hiring team, learn more about Bay State, and get started on your new career!
Plymouth Job Information Session starts Thursdays, starting January 24th 11-2pm at 36 Cordage Park Circle, Suite 305 Plymouth
Hope to see you there!
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.