Senior Merchant, Decor
- Redwood City, CA, USA
Are you a highly creative merchandising leader with a demonstrated ability to anticipate and capitalize on market and consumer-merchandise trends? Do you have experience in home or seasonal décor? Do have the passion to execute against a multi-channel merchandising strategy for our flagship brand, Balsam Hill? If so, we want to meet you! We are looking for a senior merchant to define and execute product assortment plans for key merchandising categories. You’ll be responsible for achieving sales and margin goals, managing vendor relationships, sourcing, design, product development, sample approval, pricing and much more!
This position will report to the Director of Merchandising.
What you’ll do:
- Own key merchandising categories with direct responsibility for financial results, including sales and margin goals; oversee bringing products to life, from vendor relationships through product sourcing, design, and on-time launch
- Maintain product development and assortment plan spreadsheets; present new items in product development meetings using concept boards, inspiration tear sheets and historical analysis
- Lead the catalog creative turn-over processes and partner on design, layout, pagination, approval of photography, and catalog proofs; synthesize merchandising direction and innovative presentation of products into compelling catalog spreads and web layout
- Communicate effectively cross-functionally and work closely with Inventory Planning, Operations, and Finance to ensure processes are followed and deadlines are met
- Assist Inventory Planning by monitoring catalog performance and productivity by spread index; make recommendations on space allocation and in-season adjustments to optimize profitability
- Provide Inventory Planning and relevant cross-functional departments with seasonal assortment plans maximizing sales, profits and budget (OTB)
- Recommend and develop new exclusive products and categories reflecting Balsam Hill’s unique brand identity and customer lifestyle
- Maintain vendor relationships; resolve issues and lead negotiations with suppliers and global agents
- Strategically interpret and align consumer insight to all aspects of the business by performing market analysis, gathering market data, and regularly shopping competitors to keep abreast of emerging trends that match targeted consumer needs
- Monitor multi-channel (online and catalog) performance with rigorous analytics
- Recommend effective processes and procedures to improve workflow, results and accountability
- Ensure that all final design details and pre-production-golden samples are approved; ensure that all collections have a cohesive look and meet quality and brand standards
- Drive calendar to meet critical dates and manage catalog deadlines to ensure compliance with production schedule and timely receipts
- Participate in key meetings such as seasonal product style-outs and pagination
- Travel worldwide to trade shows and prepare trip recaps highlighting product development priorities and opportunities
What you bring to the table:
- Senior Buyer level experience and perspective, with 5+ years in the home or seasonal décor space
- Must have prior merchandising experience in home decor
- Strong understanding of catalog, web based consumer behavior and direct marketing principles
- Proven track record of buying, team collaboration, and project management; strong retail math and analytical skills
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with broad group of business partners
- Attention to detail, highly organized, deadline-driven and goal- and results-oriented
- Extremely flexible/adaptable attitude; enjoyment of a “startup” mentality
- Excellent written, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Demonstration of strong business ownership
- Strong presentation skills; highly literate in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/balsam-brands/
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits. This role will require you to work from our Redwood City office when we can safely return.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.