- Redwood City, CA, USA
As Associate Merchant, you will work closely with our Merchandising Team, mainly providing support to our Director of Product Merchandising for Outdoor Furniture. In this role, you will get the opportunity to assist with merchandising, sales and inventory analysis, product development, catalog, and eCommerce marketing to achieve sales and margin goals. You’ll become an in-house subject matter expert on the product categories and acquire extensive knowledge with respect to the market competition. You’ll get to identify best-selling products and suggest future recommendations and drops, while preparing and executing on follow-through strategies. You’ll also get to assist in the creation of product development concept boards, requesting and tracking all product development samples from conception, sampling, revisions to delivery.
Our ideal candidate is both analytical and creative, someone who thrives using both sides of the brain! You bring a maturity, high level of emotional intelligence, and self-drive to the table and can function well in unstructured environments. You have a demonstrated experience delivering effective execution and communication and are excited to tackle challenging work. It will be critical for this role to build long-lasting relationships with our Merchandising and cross-functional teams through excellent customer service, relationship management and strategic problem solving.
The Associate Merchant will report to our Director of Product Merchandising for Outdoor Furniture.
What you’ll do:
- Prepare sales analysis reporting for all inventoried and drop ship furniture programs
- Participate in bi-annual product assortment reviews to include the creation of presentation boards by category / collection
- For inventoried products, prepare forecasts and purchase order requirements for imported furniture products to maintain a consistent flow of inventory
- Oversee all internal drops and discontinued product processes with a focus on reducing inventory liabilities
- Prepare and identify styles for direct mail and digital marketing in order to increase sales year over year while maintaining a good service level; ensure accuracy on all internal and external marketing materials inclusive of web, catalog and TV
- Work with suppliers to compile initial price quotes; prepare and maintain all pricing data and product details for accuracy inclusive of ensuring all freight and duty rates are correct in order to price products.
- For drop ship resources, ensure that all vendor price lists are up to date in our systems and on the web and perform maintenance as necessary.
- Build and maintain specification sheets for all current products and new
- Assist the creative and marketing teams in the development of copy and product features
- Assist in the system set-up and management of all new introductions as well as updates to current in line products; monitor and provide maintenance to all pricing and vendor information
- Assist in the collection of vendor financial information for form completion; liaison with accounts payable for all vendor deposits and payments
- Assist in the development and maintenance of product guides and warranty information
- Assist in vendor communications regarding product information, outstanding orders, shipping/ delivery, and quality or compliance issues
What you bring to the table:
- 3+ years’ merchandising and planning experience; some prior experience in home or furniture categories beneficial, but not required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Merchandising or similar field preferred
- Strong organizational, analytical, and time management skills; extremely detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Structured approach to project management and problem solving
- Thinks operationally and strategically, uses sound judgement, generates new ideas, excels in collaborative environment
- Passion for efficiency, processes, and data organization
- Competence in all MS Office programs
- Some prior experience using retail operating systems for sales and inventory analysis and understand the basic principles of forecasting; familiarity with NetSuite would be beneficial to this role, but is not required
- Ability to work in a fast pace, often-changing environment required
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/balsam-brands/
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.