Web Development Manager - Manila, PH
- Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines
Balsam Brands is a multi-brand e-Commerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. Based in Silicon Valley, the company operates market-leading website such as www.BalsamHill.com. We strive for excellence in everything we do and have been honored to receive the following awards as a result:
- Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
- Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company’s outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
As a Web Development Manager for digital technology, you will be responsible for managing and developing the growth of the development team. You will work closely with business (E-Commerce / CRM / Marketing) as well as technology team to ensure the delivery of the web development projects and efficiency of the development team. You will be required to evaluate, review and analyze system solutions and processes to improve efficiency and quality of development work to effectively support business needs. You will provide guidance and mentorship to software engineers to help grow their skills and be successful in their job.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a team of high-performing web developers and be responsible for the improvement of the overall efficiency and accuracy of the teams work and product.
- Review, validate, and approve Team Manila developer’s daily work activities through Timesheets
- Conduct development chats and career navigation and help engineers achieve their development goals
- Recruit and conduct on-boarding process to new software engineers and suggest improvements to the existing process
- Conduct annual software engineer’s individual performance review and rating
- Help manage external web development resources
Develop Digital Applications
- Evaluate and develop software solutions for eCommerce platform and digital technology
- Ensure development work meets all requirements of functionality, quality, security, reliability and technical standards
- Support the development team in investigating and providing real-time solution for critical issues in production
- Provide guidance and assistance to the DevOps and Testing team to ensure we meet our goals for complete end to end automation and for Continuous Delivery and Integration process
- Evaluate code for efficiency, correctness and style through the code review process
- Hands-on coding and resolving tickets on assigned projects
Project Leadership and Process Improvements
- Lead medium to large projects for digital technology
- Ensure development team follows the aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards
- Collaborate with eCommerce and digital technology team (including QA, DevOps and PM) to determine resource allocation, capacity planning and estimation of work and project
- Work closely and effectively with eCommerce and digital technology team (including CRM, Marketing teams and External Development Partners) to ensure successful completion of development projects
- Provide regular project status and completion report to senior managers and team
- Conduct regular retrospective and gather feedback from the team to help improve development process
- Suggest and implement solutions for process improvements
Training and Mentorship
- Leverage a coaching approach to maximize the performance of the team
- Successfully communicate all concepts and guidelines to the development team
- Provide technical guidelines and coaching to developers and engineers
- Conduct technical training on development tools and systems to developers and engineers
- Encourage continuous education and advocate to learn the latest trends in the eCommerce and technology space
What you will bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, programming, mathematics, or a related field
- At least 5 years overall experience in Web Application Development
- At least 2 years of experience on people management, managing 2 or more software engineers
- Has a minimum of 2 years experience in Web Application Development using Java Spring framework
- Strong people management and organizational skills
- Strong understanding in web application development and page optimization
- Strong attention to detail and proven multi-tasking ability, especially with multiple high-priority tasks.
- Willingness to learn new tools, coding languages, and software quickly and independently. Ideally, have a track record in such endeavors.
- Comfortable working through an Agile scrum web development approach using Jira project management tool
- Comfortable driving documentation as part of development completion requirements using confluence
- Strong dedication to a team environment and to meeting deliverables.
- Fluency in written and spoken English as the management team is US-based.
- Ability to communicate well through a task, clarifying potential issues before they arise so they can be worked through effectively. Excellent communication skills are a must-have.
Nice to Have
- At least 2 years experience in SAP Hybris development
- Infrastructure knowledge and experience on AWS platform
- Front-end development skills using AngularJS, TypesScript and NodeJS
- Exposure to Web application performance optimization
- Must live within Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan or certain parts of Laguna only (Biñan, Cabuyao, Calamba, Los Baños, San Pedro and Santa Rosa).
- Must be willing to join occasional in-person meetings.
- Must have a dedicated, functional laptop that meets the following specifications:
For Windows users:
- OS: Windows 7 – 64 bit or better
- Processor: Intel Core i3 or better
- RAM/Memory: 4GB or higher
- Hard Drive: 500GB or higher
For Mac users:
- Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7
- Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- Start-up Disk Macintosh HD
- Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB
- Must have a back-up laptop or desktop for use, if primary laptop encounters issues.
- Must have a fast, reliable DSL, Fiber or Broadband connection (not mobile or broadband stick) as the primary internet connection with a minimum actual speed of 5MBPS.
- Must have a back-up internet connection of the same speed, if primary connection becomes spotty.
- Must have licensed MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel) including Outlook.
Note: An online assessment will also be part of the recruitment process.
Status: Full Time.
Location: Our corporate offices are based in Northern California with a Regional Operating Headquarters (ROHQ) in the Philippines. The Software Engineer is a remote working position in Manila. Team members in the Philippines are ideally located within easy driving distance to Metro Manila for team outings. They have a great working environment at home with at least 5MBPS internet connection speed. Company executives visit the Philippines regularly so team members attend in-person meetings from time to time.