Merchant, International Décor
- Redwood City, CA, USA
Are you a highly creative merchandising leader with a demonstrated ability to anticipate and capitalize on market and consumer-merchandise trends? Do you have experience in home or seasonal décor and international markets? Do you have the passion to execute against a multi-channel merchandising strategy for our flagship brand, Balsam Hill? If so, we want to meet you!
We are looking for a merchant to define and execute product assortment plans for our growing international businesses, including the UK, Europe, and Australia. You’ll be responsible for achieving sales and margin goals, understanding and championing the unique needs of our international customers, selecting and managing the international assortment, sourcing and developing exclusive market relevant product and vendors, merchandising the UK catalog, partnering with the international eCommerce and business managers to drive strategy and incremental business, and much more!
This position will report to the VP of Product Merchandising.
What you’ll do:
- Own merchandise assortments for the international markets with direct responsibility for financial results, including sales and margin goals
- Partner with the US merchants and the International site and business managers to hone in on key strategies and select which products from the Balsam Hill US assortment to carry in our international markets
- Partner with User Experience (UX) researcher, localization and online merchandising to help understand cultural differences across geographies
- Source and develop exclusive international product and vendors where appropriate to capitalize on local holiday customs, traditions, and relevant product opportunities
- Lead the catalog creative turn-over processes for the EU catalog(s); partner on design, layout, pagination, approval of photography, and catalog proofs
- Synthesize merchandising direction and innovative presentation of products into compelling catalog spreads and web layout
- Maintain product development, assortment plan spreadsheets and new item information and communicate those assortments cross functionally to key partners
- Communicate effectively cross-functionally and work closely with Inventory Planning, Operations, eCommerce, and other key partners
- Strategically interpret and align consumer insight to all aspects of the business by performing market analysis, gathering market data, and regularly shopping competitors to keep abreast of emerging trends that match targeted consumer needs
- Monitor multi-channel (online and catalog) performance with rigorous analytics
- Recommend effective processes and procedures to improve workflow, results, and accountability
- Drive calendar to meet critical dates and manage catalog deadlines to ensure compliance with production schedule and timely receipts
- Travel worldwide to trade shows and prepare trip recaps highlighting product development priorities and opportunities
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Merchandising experience and perspective, with 5+ years in the home or seasonal décor space
- Experience in international markets
- Strong understanding of catalog, web-based consumer behavior, and direct marketing principles
- Proven track record of buying, team collaboration, and project management; strong retail math and analytical skills
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with broad group of business partners
- Attention to detail, highly organized, deadline-driven, and goal- and results-oriented
- Extremely flexible/adaptable attitude; enjoyment of a “startup” mentality
- Excellent written, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Demonstration of strong business ownership
- Strong presentation skills; highly literate in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/balsam-brands/
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.