Junior Data Engineer
- Boise, ID, USA
Balsam Brands Technology Team is looking for a savvy Junior Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts. You will be responsible for designing and developing robust, scalable solutions, expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. You will support our software developers, database architect, data analysts, report builders on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
Our ideal candidate is a knowledgeable data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. S/he will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even aiding in re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
The Junior Data Engineer will report to the Data Architect.
What you’ll do:
- Understand business processes, applications and how data is gathered, develop and manage data pipelines at enterprise scale
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
- Work with stakeholders including the Leadership, Product, Data and Creative teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Build data expertise and own data quality for various data flows
- Help design and develop new framework and automation tools to enable folks to consume and understand data faster
- Interface with technology and cross functional business teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources
- Continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Participate in architecture design and implementation of next generation data platform (SQL Server / Azure) and model deployment solutions
- Build robust and scalable data integration (ETL) pipelines using SQL, Python, Spark and Java to support analysts and data scientists
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 1 to 3 years of experience as a Data Engineer, who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Minimum 1 years of experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Experience with data modeling, ETL development, and Data warehousing with SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Excellent analytical skills with experience using data to answer questions and solve problems
- Ability to communicate candidly (both written and verbally) and maintain strong stakeholder relationships
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership, accountability and focus
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/balsam-brands/
Location: Boise, ID
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.