Sr. Compliance Manager - Manila, PH
- Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines
Balsam Brands is a multi-brand e-Commerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. Based in Silicon Valley, the company operates market-leading website such as www.BalsamHill.com. We strive for excellence in everything we do and have been honored to receive the following awards as a result:
• Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
• Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
• San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
• Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company’s outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
Balsam International is our Regional Operating Headquarters in the Philippines functioning remotely with a team of hard-working, passionate professionals who contribute significantly to the company’s success. The team in the Philippines enjoy full employee benefits including mandatories (SSS, PAG-IBIG, PhilHealth), 13th month pay, healthcare coverage + 2 dependents, internet subsidy (after regularization), holiday breaks, meal subsidies, company trips and other perks on top of the work-from-home setup.
Balsam International is looking for an enthusiastic, collaborative and creative individual to lead our regulatory compliance function. The Sr. Compliance Manager will responsible for overseeing and implementing the Company’s privacy and environmental compliance in the United States, Europe and Australia, helping to ensure that our policies and procedures are in line with regulatory and ethical standards. Specific experience with U.S. and European privacy and environmental regulation is helpful but not required.
This is a new role at Balsam International, so you would have a chance to help shape this position at a fast-growing company.
• Oversee, develop, implement and maintain the Company’s compliance systems and policies in the areas of privacy (e.g., GDPR in Europe; the California Consumer Privacy Act in the U.S.) and environmental regulation (e.g., WEEE in Europe; California’s Proposition 65 in the United States)
• Work in other regulatory and compliance areas (e.g., website accessibility, data security, advertising, marketing, product design, product sourcing) as time allows
• Help prioritize and manage cross-functional compliance projects
• Collaborate with the Legal Team, internal business partners, external legal counsel and vendors to translate regulatory requirements into policies and procedures that are appropriate to the Company’s culture
• Manage and handle required documentation and responses for compliance incidents such as data breaches and GDPR rights requests
• Manage communications and file reports with regulatory agencies on compliance issues
• Help create a culture of compliance that is collaborative and sensitive to business needs
• Drive compliance awareness through effective internal communication strategies, and develop and deliver training programs to educate Balsam team members about the Company’s compliance systems and requirements
• Identify technology solutions (when appropriate) and create dashboards to help manage budgets, compliance projects, annual planning, and drive open items to closure
• Periodically review and update existing compliance policies and procedures
• Keep informed regarding pending regulatory and compliance changes, trends, and best practices and assess the potential impact of these changes on organizational processes
• Conduct or direct the internal investigation of compliance issues
General Counsel – you would work closely with the Company’s General Counsel and others on the Legal Team.
• 7+ years working in a regulatory compliance position at a mid-sized or large company; or 4+ years working in a compliance field with the balance of the 7+ years working in a related field
• Bachelor’s degree from a well-regarded college or university
• Experience implementing and managing compliance programs in a business, preferably across different functions in the company
• Ability to learn new regulatory subject matter and translate that into policies and procedures
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, including the ability to draft and edit policies and procedures
• Experience working directly with regulators and regulatory agencies
• Comfortable in working through a task via electronic means (email, chat and task management applications)
• Ability to research, read and understand basic regulatory and compliance materials, including materials from outside of the Philippines
• Group presentation skills using MS Powerpoint
• Basic computer skills: using MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe Acrobat, managing emails, etc.
• Able to present information in forms, tables and spreadsheets
• Strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy
• Displays a learner’s attitude (asks questions, gives feedbacks, clarifies potential issues, etc.)
• Good time management skill (ability to prioritize)
• Ability to figure out problems that arise on one’s own before seeking out help
• Ability to have phone/Skype calls in early morning or evening with team members in U.S.
• Ability to work alone and with a team
• Periodic travel to the U.S. may be required
• Must live within Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan or certain parts of Laguna only (Biñan, Cabuyao, Calamba, Los Baños, San Pedro and Santa Rosa).
• Work from home, but must be willing to join occasional in-person meetings in the Metro Manila area.
• Must have a dedicated, functional laptop that meets the following specifications:
For Windows users:
• OS Windows 7 – 64 bit or higher
• Processor: Intel Core i3 or better
• RAM/Memory: 4GB or higher
• Hard Drive: 500GB or higher
For MAC users:
• Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i5 or higher
• Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
• Start-up Disk Macintosh HD
• Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB
• Must have a back-up laptop or desktop for use, if primary laptop encounters issues.
• Must have a fast, reliable DSL, Fiber or Broadband connection (not mobile or broadband stick) as the primary internet connection with a minimum actual speed of 5MBPS.
• Must have a back-up internet connection of the same speed, if primary connection becomes spotty.
• Must have licensed MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel) including Outlook.
Note: An online assessment will also be part of the recruitment process.
Status: Full Time.