Development Operations Engineer - Manila, PH
- Manila, NCR, ph
Balsam Brands is a multi-brand e-Commerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. Based in Silicon Valley, the company operates market-leading website such as www.BalsamHill.com. We strive for excellence in everything we do and have been honored to receive the following awards as a result:
- Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
- Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company’s outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
Balsam International is looking for a Development Operations Engineer who will be responsible for the operations and securing highly available computing platforms, servers and networks. He/She will be in-charge of installation, maintenance, upgrades and continuous improvements of our e-Commerce websites and other operating environment. Our ideal candidate will also maintain the ongoing reliability, performance and support of the infrastructure which includes monitoring our e-Commerce websites and other operating environments, responding to incidents, problems and planning for growth. He/She will directly report to the Web Development Director.
What you'll be doing:
- Operate secure and highly available computing platforms, servers and networks.
- In-charge of installation, maintenance, upgrades and continuous improvements of websites and other operating environment.
- Maintain on-going reliability, performance and support of the infrastructure.
- Monitor e-Commerce websites and other operating environment.
- Respond to incidents, problems and planning for growth.
- Overall operation and maintenance of the data center.
- Deploy the release of new technologies as well as design, install, configure, maintain and perform testing of PC/server operating systems, networks, and related utilities and hardware.
- Troubleshooting problems as reported by users, supporting Web access and electronic messaging services and maintaining a secure systems environment.
- Provide infrastructure solutions based on application needs and anticipated growth, install new servers and maintain the infrastructure.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as business needs evolve.
What you bring to the table:
- Has a minimum of 3 years of experience with cloud technologies (AWS preferred), CDN, Apache and Tomcat web servers.
- Has a minimum of 2 years’ experience with Python, Bash, Perl, Git and Java.
- Must have good experience with CI/CD pipeline automation using Ansible, Terraform, Chef and Jenkins.
- Strong attention to detail and proven multi-tasking ability, especially with multiple high-priority tasks.
- Willingness to double-check work to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Has strong customer service orientation to ensure all service requests and incidents are resolved in a professional manner.
- Ability to share expertise and provide individual training and support.
- Fluency in written and spoken English as the management team is US-based.
- With excellent English communication skills.
- Willingness to learn new tools, coding languages, and software quickly and independently. Ideally, will have a track record in such endeavors.
- Ability to communicate well through a task, clarifying potential issues before they arise so they can be worked through effectively.
- Strong dedication to a team environment and to meeting deliverables.
- Comfortable in working through a task via electronic means (email, chat and task management applications).
Required Technologies and Platforms:
- Bash, Python, Perl, Git, Java
- Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Jenkins
- Windows, IIS, Linux/Unix, Apache, Tomcat, Docker/Kubernetes, VPN
- AWS, CDN (Akamai)
- Must live within Metro Manila, Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan or certain parts of Laguna only (Biñan, Cabuyao, Calamba, Los Baños, San Pedro and Santa Rosa).
- Must be willing to join occasional in-person meetings.
- Must have a dedicated, functional laptop that meets the following specifications:
For Windows users:
- OS: Windows 7 – 64 bit or better
- Processor: Intel Core i3 or better
- RAM/Memory: 4GB or higher
- Hard Drive: 500GB or higher
For Mac users:
- Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7
- Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- Start-up Disk Macintosh HD
- Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB
- Must have a back-up laptop or desktop for use, if primary laptop encounters issues.
- Must have a fast, reliable DSL, Fiber or Broadband connection (not mobile or broadband stick) as the primary internet connection with a minimum actual speed of 5MBPS.
- Must have a back-up internet connection of the same speed, if primary connection becomes spotty.
- Must have licensed MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel) including Outlook.
Note: An online assessment will also be part of the recruitment process.
Status: Full Time.
Location: Our corporate offices are based in Northern California with a Regional Operating Headquarters (ROHQ) in the Philippines. The Development Operations Engineer is a remote working position in Manila. Team members in the Philippines are ideally located within easy driving distance to Metro Manila for team outings. They have a great working environment at home with at least 5MBPS internet connection speed. Company executives visit the Philippines regularly so team members attend in-person meetings from time to time.