Vice President of Merchandising
- 700 Jefferson Ave, Redwood City, CA 94063, USA
Are you a leader with a passion for developing the people on your team? Do you use data to drive your decision making, coupled with a deep understanding of the customer? As VP of Merchandising, you will work with Merchants overseeing a broad range of product categories in the home and holiday décor space. You will partner closely with the Director of Product Development in introducing differentiated products within both existing and emerging categories. You will immerse yourself in the Balsam Hill brand, partnering with cross-functional partners in the development of merchandising and planning strategies and processes.
Our ideal candidate is someone who readily rolls up his or her sleeves while optimizing for over-arching company goals. This role will report to the CEO.
What you’ll do:
- In partnership with the CEO, Director of Product Development and other key stakeholders, develop a product vision, strategy and roadmap in support of company goals and objectives. Present and clearly articulate product strategy cross-functionally.
- Lead and execute the assortment planning process for all product categories (foliage and décor).
- Coordinate merchandise planning with cross-functional partners including eCommerce, Marketing, Operations and Finance.
- Together with the Strategic Projects team, use customer and market research as well as competitive analysis to identify opportunities for new product categories and initiatives.
- Provide guidance for décor pricing, taking into account metrics such as inventory positions, financial goals, etc.
- Manage select members of the Merchant teams across foliage, home and holiday décor; coaching and developing merchandising, strategic thinking and partnership skills.
- Immerse yourself in both Balsam Hill and our portfolio brands, representing them in merchandising strategies, product assortment plans, and go-to-market recommendations.
- Champion the partnership between Merchandising and Inventory Planning to hit budget (open-to-buy), profit and revenue growth targets.
- Implement best-in-class processes within the Merchandising organization to improve workflow, results and accountability. Communicate effectively to ensure processes are followed and deadlines are met.
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7-10 years of Buyer and Planning experience.
- Proven ability to make business trade-offs that optimize for the over-arching goals of the company.
- Experience successfully developing the skills of the team.
- Flexibility and adaptability; comfort with a “startup” mentality.
- Forward-thinking and problem solving mentality; sense of urgency, resolving and/or escalating issues as needed.
- Proven track record of buying, team collaboration, and project management; strong retail math and analytical skills.
- Strong understanding of catalog, web based consumer behavior and direct marketing principles.
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with broad group of business partners.
- Attention to detail, highly organized, deadline-driven and goal- and results-oriented.
- Aesthetic visionary with a proven ability to translate analytic data into strategic ideas.
- Excellent written, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Highly literate in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Outlook; strong presentation skills.
About Balsam Brands
Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- The Muse: https://www.themuse.com/companies/balsambrands
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.