Director of Engineering, Operations
- Boise, ID
As Director of Engineering, you will manage a software development team and lead software development processes, existing software products, and enhancements and custom development of proprietary software products. You will also work closely with our external software development partners, as well as our dynamic Operations, eCommerce, Finance, and Marketing teams, to evaluate technical architecture and identify opportunities to use technology to solve our business challenges.
To start, you will oversee the technology that supports the back-end operations of our eCommerce operations, which include the Enterprise Service Bus and custom Inventory software tool. Over time, we expect your role to expand in areas such as our customer databases and Enterprise Resource Planning needs. To meet shared business goals, you will partner effectively with the eCommerce Web Development Team. As a fast-growing, seasonal company, there is lots of detective work to be done, strategies and solutions to be developed, and leadership to drive the implementation.
As Director of Engineering, you will report to our CTO.
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical leadership in architecture standards, design, implementation and support of highly reliable, flexible, scalable and cost effective software and technologies
- Drive our technology roadmap and building strong technical processes
- Evaluate the end-to-end risks in our eCommerce technology and identify opportunities to reduce exposure, especially in the areas of inventory management, order fulfillment, and customer database
- Build a high performing team through team development and mentorship, recruiting, and retention that supports Balsam Brands’ growing business needs
- Oversee relationships with our 3rd party software development and technology partners
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with cross-functional partners; serve as the executive escalation point for back-end development needs
What you bring to the table:
- 10+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years of experience in managing developers, driving and retaining a high performance team
- Strategic and dynamic leadership
- Strong teamwork and collaboration
- Strong problem solving skills: adaptable, enthusiastic, and willing to take ownership
- High standards for documentation, unit testing, code reviews, continuous integration & deployment, and a preference for agile methods
- Familiarity with: Java, MVC, JIRA, GIT, JQuery, OO-Programming, Agile, Scrum
- Experience with eCommerce platform integrations (e.g., SAP) and CRM software (e.g., Salesforce) preferred
- Experience running RFP processes and negotiating contracts
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem solver
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
To celebrate its 10th anniversary and beyond, our flagship brand, Balsam Hill is partnering with Macy’s to debut "Deck The Halls", a wondrous float bringing the magic of Christmas to life in the 90th Anniversary Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade®!
Balsam Brands is honored to be the recipient of multiple awards:
- Forbes: America’s Best Small Companies (2016)
- Inc. 5000: America’s Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- San Francisco Business Times: Fast 100 – Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Silicon Valley Business Journal: 75 Fastest Growing Private Companies (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
Location: Boise, ID
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.