Exhibit and Experience Designer
- 5200 Randolph Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Badlands is the largest nature-inspired play space in the mid-Atlantic, offering a unique, interactive environment where families can grow together, and children can learn through playing, building, and taking risks. We are looking for passionate, creative, and energetic people that want to make a difference. Work here and help us build Badlands.
Working collaboratively with the leadership and programming teams, the Experience and Exhibit Designer creates exhibits and hands-on learning experiences that support the Badlands learning objectives and themed programs. The Experience and Exhibit Designer oversees exhibits through all stages of development: piloting, schematic design, design development, prototyping, construction, fabrication, installation, and maintenance. You must be friendly, outgoing, and possess great communication skills. The best candidates will be excited to step into a leadership position and take ownership of the day-to-day exhibit experience for our customers and our staff. You will play a major role in ensuring an enjoyable Badlands experience, so your individual personality should shine through in order to thrill our guests and motivate our staff.
- Work with the CEO, Executive Director, and Programming Staff to create engaging exhibits, customer environments, and café experiences that promote the Badlands mission
- Identify new exhibits or renovations of existing exhibits, aligned with and guided by the organization’s values, strategic plan, learning approach, and aesthetic standards
- Design and facilitate the fabrication of high-quality and interactive components for use in exhibits and Playspace components
- Work with Badlands team members to develop strategies for materials selection, exhibit construction, and installation with minimal disruption to the visitor experience
- Lead construction of exhibits and/or assist with installation as appropriate
- Participate on evaluation teams to ensure that exhibits are functioning as intended and design improvements as needed. Assists with ongoing maintenance strategies to ensure that aesthetic, safety, and operational standards are maintained
- Document and archive project files in an orderly and timely fashion—before, during, and after a project—using an organizational system that is clear, streamlined, and easy to access
- Collaborate with the marketing and communications team to develop signs and graphics to support Badlands exhibits and visitor experience
- Participate in facilitating programs, with some weekend or evening availability as needed
- Demonstrated successful experience designing exhibits, spaces, and/or experiences that are engaging and playful for kids ages 2 to 13
- Knowledge of exhibits materials and technology used in interactive exhibit planning, fabrication, and completion
- Proven experience with managing personal work time, fabrication schedules, and budgets
- Experience working in a highly collaborative team environment
- Respectful and open to having many diverse voices inform and inspire the design process
- Strong belief in and knowledge of hands-on learning and maker education
Badlands LLC is an EEOC employer.